Monday, March 19, 2007

Driving, dribbling, dancing and a nap


Son Jake cuts the rug Sunday afternoon at Idle Hour
Not much cherry blossoming for me this past weekend. I figured I will get my fill of that over the next seven days, so I needed to pace myself.
I didn’t even go to the pink pancake breakfast at Central City Park. It’s the first time I’ve missed that in a few years. And, as I blogged last Friday, we have stopped going to the balloon glow ever since they moved it from Wesleyan.
I was all over the map on Saturday. I took my mother down to Georgia Veterans State Park in Cordele. It was her cousin, Perry Mobley’s 80th birthday, so it was pretty much like a family reunion down there. They cooked a pig all night, and there was some good eatin’.
There was so much traffic on I-75, and it was so intense, that we took U.S. 41 most of the way. It was a delightful drive.

There wasn’t much time to catch my breath when I got back to Macon. I had been asked to speak Saturday night at the 35th reunion of the great Taylor County girls basketball teams of the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Those teams won 132 straight games between 1967-72, which is still a state record and ranks fourth nationally. I think it ranks among the greatest feats in high school sports in our state’s history.
A huge crowd of about 180 attended the banquet at Taylor County Elementary in Butler. Delinda went with me. It was a very inspiring evening.
There was a great tribute paid to Coach Norman Carter, who also served as principal and school superintendent. He and his wife, Jane, operate “The Golden Rule” a home for women recovering from alcohol and substance abuse.
He is one of my heroes, and I pledge to do everything it takes to get him in the Georgia Sports Hall of Fame. It’s hard to believe he is not in there already. If you want to read more about the incredible run by the Taylor County girls, click on this link.
I taught Sunday School at First Baptist on Sunday morning. I did "The Andy Griffith Show" series, with my favorite episode, “Man in a Hurry.’’ We all could learn a lot from this episode. We need to slow down our lives. Also, Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. It’s not supposed to be just like any other day of the week.
So I did rest Sunday afternoon. I was a pooped puppy. I took a 45-minute nap. I think it was my first nap since 1988. Delinda took Jake to the graduation for Susan Rodgers’ cotillion class at Idle Hour. Jake has been a student instructor for her this year.
Now it's Monday morning. Time to put on the pink tie.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Jake is looking good!! I am impressed!
-Carolann

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home