Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing



A friend of mine once gave me some excellent advice.
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
My friend was saying sometimes you know so much about a subject it will work against you. You over-think. You over-analyze.
I’ve always felt that was about the NCAA Basketball Tournament, better known as this affliction known as March Madness.

It consumes us as we head from winter to spring, making the conversion from basketball to baseball, bare trees to blossoms.

To me, it’s always been one of the great events in all of sports – three weeks of the biggest free-for-all in sports.

I especially like those first two frantic-filled days – Thursday and Friday of this week – when the pairings are parings. The field goes from 64 to 32, then melts to 16 by sundown on Sunday.

And the NCAA office pool is a traditional rite of spring. At our place, it only cost $5 to jump in and give it a chance. It’s one of the few times I put down any money on a sporting event. And it’s not really betting. The NCAA basketball bracket is truly a game of chance.

It seems sometimes those who know the least around our office do the best. It goes back to the “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing” theory.

Remember the Nebraska man last year who picked George Mason to be in the Final Four?
George Mason? An unknown, unheralded team and the first No. 11 seed to reach the Final Four in 20 years?

"I got them confused with George Washington," said Russell Pleasant, of Bellevue, Neb.

Anything goes.

In fact, everything goes.

“But I don’t know that much about all the teams,’’ one of my sons admitted as I encouraged him to fill out his bracket and join the fun.

“Doesn’t really matter,’’ I said.

No, don't fall for Niagara. Don't bet the house on tiny tots Winthrop, Davidson or Central Connecticut State.

But you should always expect the unexpected.

And, remember, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know NOTHING about sports, and once won the office football pool several weeks in a row. Boy, did that tic off a few people who knew all the stats. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, isn't it?

12:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I joined a fantasy football league with my family. My mom and I, who don't really know that much about football, came in first and second. We beat out all of the guys!

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home