Friday, March 02, 2007

March roars in like a lion


Storm forced part of Thomaston Road to close Thursday night
(Photo by Woody Marshall/The Telegraph)

I ate lunch Thursday at the Ryan’s Steakhouse in Warner Robins. I was speaking to the Warner Robins Noonday Optimist Club.

You don’t want to sound like a pessimist when you sit down to break bread with the Optimists, but I told the gentleman next to me about how I now pay attention to severe weather warnings.

No longer do I ignore then. Four and a half years ago, just a few weeks after we moved to south Monroe County, we hardly raised an eyebrow one Sunday afternoon when a tornado watch was issued. It was November, and we had just gotten through watching a football game, for goshsakes. That’s not typical tornado weather.

But within minutes, a tornado had cut a swath through our neighborhood, and I had neighbors who lost dozens of trees. That will get your attention.

I will never forget the sound of that storm as it passed around us. We huddled in a walk-in closet, and you could almost feel it in the atmosphere as it passed over.

I will never forget the strange way the clouds looked. They were low, with a strange color and light. They raced through as if they were in a hurry. The sky was very angry.

And it looked the same way Thursday night.

It reminds us of just how unpredictable the weather can be this time of year.

The first day of March certainly roared in like a lion.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lies said...

The problem is that they lie about the weather. They big it up to make news and then no one is listening when the big one's on its way.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Ed Grisamore said...

Could be. You think that's what happened in New Orleans?

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This will date me..but I remember a ice storm that hit Macon on March 4th in the early sixities. We were supposed to have a fashion show at the old American Legion Building(where Yeoman's is now) and no one could drive down the Ingleside hill at Riverside.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'M A MACON BOY IN THE COLD OF SOUTH DAKOTA. WE JUST WENT THROUGH A BLIZZARD, AND I'M NOT TALKING DAIRY QUEEN.. COULDN'T SEE TWO FEET IN FRONT OF YOU, SNOW DRIFTS YOU WOULD HAVE TO SEE TO BELIEVE. BELIEVE MY BIBB COUNTY BUTT WHEN THE SIREN SOUNDS DURING A BLIZZARD, CAN'T HEAR IT, YOU HAD BETTER BELIEVE THE WEATHER MAN. YOU MIGHT BE WHISLING DIXIE WITH DEVIL IF YOU DON'T.. THE LANIER POET...

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

January 2006, the weatherman said a storm was headed down the GA 57. I paid very close attention then and I did again on Tuesday. We plan to buy a RV TV set to hook to a spare car battery, so that we can watch the weather reports when we loose power again.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beaver Oaks spared, but Southfork not lucky at all--my commute home ended at about 8 pm--Sue was on cell phone with me at Lamar and Thomaston Roads right in the middle of it....

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home