Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Give up giving up

On Fat Tuesday, my youngest son was worried about Ash Wednesday.

“I don’t know what to give up for Lent,’’ he said.

We were eating fajitas in a Mexican restaurant.

It’s not really necessary to give up anything for Lent, I told him. That’s not really something we emphasize in our denomination.

“Just give up giving up something,’’ I said.

At least I got a smile out of him.

I know it’s a discipline, but I’ve always considered giving up something for Lent a lot like making New Year’s resolutions. How many people keep them and for how long?

OK, so maybe it wouldn’t be that difficult to give up something for Lent.

Mmmmm. Let’s see, I’m giving up. …

1. C. Jack Ellis
2. Peter Pan Peanut Butter.
3. Cold weather.
4. CNN.
5. High-rise window washing.
6. Potholes.
7. Alarm clocks.
8. Fruitcake.
9. Shopping with the wife.
10.Begging.

See, now that was easy.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think even those of us who do not participate in Lent (Baptist) are willing to give up "the mayor formally known as C. Jack"

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home