Friday, February 16, 2007

A tree grows in Macon


Fort Hawkins has been around longer than just about anything else in this town. It was built in 1806 along the Fall Line and is most often known as the “Birthplace of Macon." From its perch on the hill, it overlooks the city.
It now holds an extra special place for me.
A cherry tree will be planted there in memory of my father.
The Keep Macon-Bibb Beautiful Commission held its annual Arbor Day Celebration on Thursday. A large crowd gathered. The mayor and other dignitaries were there. Students from Burdell-Hunt Elementary School participated in the program.
My father, Dr. Jennings M. Grisamore, was one of 42 names that were read.
This is the 21st year memorial trees have been planted as part of Arbor Day. An oak tree was planted on Thursday. The Yoshino cherry trees will soon be planted.
When my parents moved to Macon in 2002, they went to Central City Park for the free cherry tree giveaway. There, they met Connie Thuente, of the Cherry Blossom Festival.
Connie is the one responsible for the tree being given in memory of Dad, who died in November at age 82. I’m sure this is true of the others, too, but I cannot think of anything more fitting.
Dad and I planted many trees together. When I was growing up, we planted and transplanted so many trees in our yard I was convinced he would never be content until he had moved every tree from the front yard to the back yard and then again to the front.
Just last spring, he and I planted a cherry tree in my front yard.
Now, I will always think of him when I look up on that hill at Fort Hawkins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home