Thursday, February 15, 2007

And the weiner is ...


A friend came down from Atlanta on Wednesday and we went to the Nu-Way on Cotton Avenue for lunch.
He grew up in Payne City, and when he comes home to Macon he has to get his “Nu Way” fix.
He always goes to the Nu Way downtown. It’s a little hole-in-the-wall with a lot of character. It’s the same Nu-Way of his youth, which he remembers as being “a lot bigger.’’
It’s the same size, of course. We are the ones that have gotten bigger. Life is like that.
I love the tiny booths and the seats at the counter. Every time I eat there, I see people from all walks of life – attorneys and businessmen wearing Brooks Brothers suits eating slaw dogs and guys in construction outfits who have been out digging ditches all morning taking on mega-burgers.
Of course, my favorite Nu Way story is the sign out in front of the restaurant at 430 Cotton Ave. That sign is celebrating its 70th anniversary this year.
Look closely at it. Do you notice anything wrong?
That’s right. There’s a typographical error up there. And it’s one that has become a downtown landmark.
“Best Weiner In Town … Nu Way Weiner Stand.’’
If you’ve got a spell check, you know that’s not the way to spell wiener. (Remember your English teacher tell you “i” before “e” except after “c.”)
Here’s your history lesson for today.
When James Mallis immigrated to Macon from Greece (not Grease), he opened the city’s first fast-food restaurant in 1916.
He wanted a snappy name, and called it “Nu Way.”
“Wiener” was spelled correctly for the first 21 years. Then the restaurant was passed through the family to brothers George and Hayy Andros, who purchased a neon sign in 1937. They wanted a conversation piece, something to draw people to the restaurant.
So their calling card was intentionally misspelling “wiener.’’
And now you know, in case you’ve never noticed.
There's No Way that Nu Way is ever going to change.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'M ORIGINALLY FROM MACON AND MOST OF MY FAMILY IS STILL IN THE MACON AREA. I'VE TRAVELED ALL OVER THE WORLD AND THE BEST DAWG IN THE WORLD IS NU-WAY.I HAVE FOND MEMORIES OF MAMA TAKING ONEOF MY SISTERS AND I TO NU-WAY ON COTTON. WE LIVED BY TATNALL SQ PK. WE WOULD WALK TO TOWN, PAY BILLS AND GET A HOTDOG, CHOCOLATE MILK AND MAMA ALWAYS GAVE US A HAVE A PIECE OF JUICY FRUIT GUM. WHO SAID YOU CAN NEVER GO HOME, THE SONG SAYS " ALL I HAVE TO DO IS DREAM "

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I eat there all the time and never noticed that (some copy editor I am!). Thanks for the history lesson Ed.

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I die I'm going to get Gena to put in my obituary that I was in the Food Channel special on hot dog joints featured eating a doubled scrambled in the Cotton Avenue Nu-Way!

(That may have been why I died.)

7:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nu way--yummy!! We'd ride to town on Saturdays, shop at Sears (ride the escalator), and then man we'd hit the nuway. Hot dog, fries and small coke out of those small bottles. And if we had been really good, Mama would let us play a tune on the juke box that sat at each table. (dated myself then). What memories....

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a kid, my parents would pile us all in the pink and white plymouth with our pillows and blankets, stop by NuWay and pick up a sack full of hotdogs and hamburgers and head to the Dixie Drive In. It was great!
Today, my husband and I now live in St. Simons Island and when we get to Macon every few months, we always stop by NuWay. It's true, I'd walk a long way for a NuWay!

8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed, about that English rule...one day write a column telling us why "neighbor" is an exception. With that said it is about time to head on down to the Nu-Way for a couple with chili and onion.

John G. Kelley, Jr.

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This past weekend i have fixed two toilets, a fire alarm, and my car was towed to the shop--my attitude has not been the best--BUT--i had Nu-Way today--Double scramble dog. I figured i had to get it in before the cost of the car repair hits me...Life is good.

8:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home