Monday, March 05, 2007

Our little secret recipe

I’m going to let you in on a little secret but you’ve got to not tell anybody.

You have got to promise me you won’t breathe a word of it. It’s top secret. Classified information.

I’m going to give you the recipe for the best Brunswick stew you ever put in your mouth.

It was passed on to me by a man in McRae about five years ago. I don’t think he was supposed to give it to anybody. I don’t think I was supposed to give it to anybody.

But I’ll share it with you.

I’ve been asked many times over the years for the recipe. I always tell people if I gave it to them, I would have to kill them.

I've added a few things to the original recipe. I've also kicked it up a notch with the hot sauce. It gives it a little bite.

Whenever I make a big batch of this stew, as I did for a church social Sunday night, I am the most popular guy at the party. Whenever I take it to the office, I have co-workers bow down at my feet.

I’ve always heard the sign of a good Brunswick stew is sticking a fork in the middle and it not moving. Well, this stew is not like that. It’s more soup than stew.

But it is guaranteed. And it is so simple to make. You won’t believe how easy it is.

Remember now, this is our little secret.

TRUE GRIS BRUNSWICK STEW
(Mix together in large pot)
--1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
--1 pound pork barbecue
--3 boneless chicken breasts
--4 cans sliced tomatoes
--4 cans sliced potatoes
--4 cans whole grain corn
--1 can cream corn
--1 can tomato sauce
--2 cans English peas
--1 can beef broth
--1 bottle ketchup
--3 tablespoons Texas Pete hot sauce

(Simmer well. Makes 20 cups or 10 pints)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed:

Do you precook the chicken breasts? I love brunswick stew and want to try this recipe.

Sounds delicious!

11:11 AM  
Blogger Ed Grisamore said...

Yes. You need to cook the chicken first. In the past, I have grilled it. Most of the time I boil it. Yesterday, in the interest of time, I microwaved it. Let me know how you like it. Enjoy!

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And it freezes. Very well!! I've also cheated and used the canned chicken in a pinch............

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home