Friday, March 16, 2007

Bring glow-ry days back to Wesleyan


I took this photo of the balloon glow at Wesleyan in March 2001

The Cherry Blossom Festival is a bit like Ivory soap.
99.44 percent pure.
Yep, it’s about as close to perfect as a festival can get. It’s well-planned, well-organized and well-orchestrated. There are more than 500 events at the annual 10-day festival, and more than 90 percent of them are free. There’s something for everyone.
So you won’t find me hanging out at the complaint box very often or for very long. I can’t find much fault with the festival.
Except for the balloon glow.
I would love to see it return to the campus at Wesleyan College.
I know it won’t ever happen. I’ve asked Cherry Blossom officials about it until I am pink in the face.
Four years ago, heavy rains on opening day forced the event – one of the festival’s most popular – to make a quick move from the Wesleyan campus to the Herbert Smart Airport in East Macon.
What a nightmare! The traffic was heavy. The “glow” was a disappointment. Little did we realize it would never return to Wesleyan.
I vowed to never go back.
And I haven’t.
It was so much more of a community event when it was at the college. I loved the tradition of going. It was exciting. And we would always get up with the sun the next morning and go watch the balloons take off.
I was told there were logistic, safety and liability issues at the more urban setting, along Foryth Road. The balloonists would rather stake out to the wide open spaces at the airport.
But, when they left, they took something with them. And it's no longer a free event, either. It costs $5 to get in the gate (children under 12 free).
Wish we could get it back at Wesleyan.
For old times sake.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Me too!! I loved it at Wesleyan--it was more of a community event where ppl gathered & had picnics & socialized w/ friends & neighbors. I have so many pictures from the years it was there & the memories are long lasting! But like everything else: when something is working, let's change it to see if we can make it better!

8:02 AM  
Blogger mk said...

It is just not much fun going out to the airport for the balloons and so our family doesn't attend the event anymore. I would rather see fewer balloons, but bring it back to Wesleyan, than more balloons at the airport. It was always so much more beautiful at Wesleyan and more personal and fun. And, I live near the area and did not mind the traffic (for just one night for Pete's sake!) one bit.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Patty said...

I remember taking my now 19 yr. old son when he was a toddler and pictures of balloons in the background. Chairs, blankets, and snacks were abundant. It was FREE and we would just lay out on that blanket with family and/or friends and have a great time. I haven't gone to the new place and won't. Seems they always take the good things away.

4:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree Ed. When the event was at Wesleyan we enjoyed it very much, but we have never been to the airport. It needs to come home to the college and the $5 fee needs to take a hike.

John G. Kelley, Jr.

11:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen!! It was so much more of a family friendly event in a beautiful setting when it was at Wesleyan. We went once after it moved to the airport and will never go back - it just isn't the same.

Please, please bring it back to Wesleyan!

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree! I went one time after the move and the long line and dark atmosphere made me decide that I wouldn't go back. It's just not the same...and never will be.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home