Thursday, March 15, 2007

Blossom bouncing on a Thursday



I gave a mini-tour to a dozen students from Boston University on Wednesday afternoon. They have been in town all week working on repairing houses for Rebuilding Together.
Before we left on the trolley from the brand spanking new Macon-Bibb County Convention and Visitors Bureau, we saw the 12-minute video about Macon.
I suggest everyone march down there and view that short movie. If that doesn’t make you proud to live in Macon, I don’t know what will.
We took them on a loop up Cherry Street, across to Poplar and up on High Street, over to College and Bond Street atop Coleman Hill, then down Mulberry and back over the the CVB.
These young people thanked me for the tour, but not before I thanked them. I thanked them for giving up their spring break to come to Macon, Ga., to help repair houses for needy families.
That, to me, says a lot about them as people.
So I thanked them. We should all thank them.
* * *
I attended the Cherry Blossom Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon at the City Auditorium. Even though there were hundreds of folks there, the crowd was less than I’ve seen in a number of years.
Maybe its because the program always tends to drag on for almost two hours, despite efforts to streamline it.
Here’s my suggestion: Cut ALL the speeches from the public officials -- nobody wants to hear them anyway -- and focus on the volunteers. We’re there to honor them.
* * *
One of my favorite people I have met this week is Ruby Busbee of Houston Heights Baptist Church.
Miss Ruby is amazing. She had done all the decorating for a seniors luncheon at the church.
Even more amazing is that she is 92 years old with no signs of slowing down.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maria
I agree we should all thank the college kids because without them there at times wouldn't be any rebuilding! Great job young adults keep up the good work!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home