Sunday, August 27, 2006


Stop sign-us headache

Driving requires a certain amount of thinking. It takes a level of concentration to get from Point A to Point B.

But, if you’re like me, there are times when you get behind the wheel, and you’re so preoccupied with other thoughts, an automatic pilot seems to be driving the car.

There have been many times when I’ve turned the key and, the next thing I know, I get to where I was going. And I always ask myself: “How did I do this? I don’t remember anything about the trip. Did I stop at all the red lights? Did my foot push the gas pedal and hands turn the wheel?

I guess so.

The thing about four-way stops is they always make you think. It doesn’t matter what kind of trance you’re in, when you pull up to a busy four-way stop, you had better have your thinking cap on.

There is one such four-way near my house, which gets very busy during certain times of the day. There is a lot of construction in the area, as well as two major businesses nearby that have major shift changes.

The cars are often 2-3 deep, so it becomes a real game when you pull up to the stop sign. I predict they will have to put up a stop light there within the next few months.

Here’s how it goes for me:

  • Establish position.
  • Avoid eye contact.
  • Did my wheels stop first of did his wheels stop first?
  • You go. No you go.
  • He’s biggest than me. Better let him go ahead.
  • That guy is smoking a cigarette. Automatic 10-point deduction if he gets in front of me.
  • Is it person to the left has the right away or person to the right? I never can remember.
  • She’s cute. I think I’ll be a gentleman and let her go on ahead.
  • Rock. Paper. Scissors.
  • You idiot! Didn’t you see I’ve been waiting here patientely for my turn!
  • I’m motioning with my hand, not waving to you, lady.
  • If you snooze, you lose.
  • Did I take my blood pressure medicine this morning?
  • Wait a minute, buddy. Even though you think you're the next Lance Armstrong, you still have no right to run a stop sign! You are not immune to the rules of the road. And I don't care if it messes up your time.
  • There is no way I’m going to let that hideous purple car make the turn in front of me.
  • Eeeny. Meeny. Miney. Mo.

(Photo courtesty of FreeFoto.com)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home