Friday, August 18, 2006

A little off-key

Excuse me, but when did we become the “Music City’’?

I must have missed the signs on the way into Macon.

I believe that title already belongs to Nashville, Tenn. We must be borrowing it. Or just decided to share it.

Earlier this week, officials with the Miss Macon Pageant announced future events will be called the Miss Music City Pageant. They’re also going to open them up to contestants from all over the state and not just limit the field to Middle Georgia.

That’s fine. I’ve always tried to support the peageant. I was asked to serve as a judge a few years ago. I’ve written columns on several of the winners.

I don’t have a problem with that. I was just a bit confused. And I imagine others may be, too.

I’ve lived here for 28 years, and I’ve never heard Macon called the “Music City.’’ The convention and visitor's bureau and chamber of commerce have touted our musical heritage. But I don't think either has gone so far as to crown us with a "Music City" monicker.

Of course, we do have an enviable musical lineage. We lay claim to Otis Redding and Little Richard. Depending on which version you believe, James Brown was born either here or in Barnwell, S.C. We can verify, however, that he cut his first record, “Please, Please, Please” at WIBB in Macon.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, Macon was the epicenter of Southern rock n’ roll. Phil Walden. The Allman Brothers. The Marshall Tucker Band. Wet Willie.

We have a great symphony. This is the birthplace of the kazoo. We are the home of the Georgia Music Hall of Fame. And we will have a minor-league baseball team next year that will call itself the Macon Music.

So it’s not like we don’t have the credentials. It’s just the name has already been taken.

I don’t think of Macon as the “Music City.’’ I think of Nashville. And I imagine most others do, too.

For a pageant trying to make a name for itself, I’m not sure this is going to help.

It’s a little off-key.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen--MUSIC CITY? in a pigs eye--no one has said that---When I got to meet Charlie Daniels in Iraq back in April, the first thing out of his mouth when he asked me where I was from was "They have more restaurants there...."

One would figure a musical giant like CD would have spouted off "Macon-Music City for sure...."
didn't happen. Why dont we name it Middle Georgia or Central Georgia or Heart of Georgia or Fall Line Cuties.....Music City...Deliver me.
We could have put a little more thought intop the baseball name also--but we'll see....

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah george, that's what we can call it....Miss Pig's Eye Pageant. After the contestants and tourists see how we keep Macon clean, they'll certainly understand the name change. Someone please tell the homeless if they are going to lay claim to certain bridges, they need to pick up their trash or be evicted. The curbs in this city are never cleaned. What happened to the street sweepers? No gas???

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home