Sunday, August 20, 2006

Circus treats

The 10th annual Taste of Music was held Saturday night at the Shrine Temple downtown, and I was one of 40 celebrity media chefs who prepared a dish for the event.

The theme was “Media Circus.” I don’t know if that had anything to do with the traditional Shriner’s Circus. I’ll have to ask. Or maybe folks just think the media is a circus these days. Can't say that I blame them.

I don’t think they could have packed another body in there. The event was a fund-raiser for the Macon Arts Alliance, which has learned that anything with “food” as the star attraction will usually get folks to turn out.

The Telegraph chefs were Liz Fabian, P.J. Browning, Charles Richardson and myself. My wife, Delinda, and youngest son, Jake, went with me to help out.

Artist Mark Ballard and magician Mike Fuller served as emcees. There was live music and a silent auction.

A good time was had by all, except that it got unmercifully hot. Maybe most people overlooked that, since it was a benefit and it is, after all, August in Macon. At any rate, the most popular corner of the big room was over by the two air-conditioning vents.

I made my famous True Gris Stew, and had at least a hundred people ask me for the recipe. So, in the interest of public journalism, here it is:
TRUE GRIS STEW
(Mix together in large pot)
  • 1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
  • 1 pound barbecue
  • 3 boneless, cooked and sliced chicken breasts
  • 4 cans sliced potatoes
  • 4 cans diced tomatoes
  • 4 cans whole grain corn
  • 1 can cream corn
  • 1 can tomato sauce
  • 2 cans english peas
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 bottle ketchup
  • 1/4 cup hot sauce

(Simmer well. Makes 20 cups or 10 pints)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WOULD HAVE BET EVERYTHING In my wallet that you were going to be there and that you would make THE STEW to end all Stews..
IT IS THE BEST---you have to eat it sitting down lest your knees buckle on you...
Have mercy..

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home