Saturday, August 19, 2006

Sweet justice

One thing I have learned about blogs. They are a great way to vent. It’s good to let off a little cyber-steam every now and then.

I’ve done that a few times in my previous 60 posts. I also realize if I used this wonderful platform to whine and complain all the time you might not come back to visit me.

I know you don’t want to read it all the time. And I certainly don’t want to write it.

I will admit I got a little hot a few weeks ago when a logging truck nearly ran me over on a downtown street. My life flashed before my eyes when I saw him coming in my rear view mirror. I was stopped at a red light, and there was no way he could stop. He ran the light and nearly wiped out about five other cars.

I wrote about it to vent my anger. But I also hoped it might raise awareness of what I believe is a growing problem – careless truckers. The blog generated a lot of responses and actually did some good. One reader posted information on what to do about reckless driving by truckers and where to report it.

I’m not going to write about every near-miss I have out there on the road. If I did, my fingers would be super-glued to the keyboard. But a few weeks ago, I came close to having another accident.

I was driving to work, minding my own business, planning my day and listening to Kenny B. and Jami G. on the radio.

On Riverside Drive, a van started to come over on me. I slammed on the brakes, hit the horn and just stopped short of saluting him with my middle finger.

I had to drop my speed by 30 mph to compensate for the 30-point rise in my blood pressure.

Did I cause him any remorse? Apparently not. He kept going, as if nothing had happened. I have never made a citizen’s arrest for carelessness, but I thought about it this time.

Don’t get mad. Get even.

I caught up to him at the next light, and the irony was not lost on me. The van was from a local “safety supply” company.

It took me a few more stop lights, but eventually I calmed down. By the end of the day, I had pretty much forgotten about it.

But there is sweet justice in the world.

A few days later, I was traveling south on I-75 and I noticed some blue lights. The cop was writing the guy a ticket. I looked over and saw a van with the words “Safety Supply” on the side.

No one could wipe that grin off my face for the rest of the day.

3 Comments:

Blogger tadkil said...

God is just.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it's such a good idea to consider making a citizen's arrest in this day and time. Riverside Drive and Vineville Avenue are two of the worst routes to downtown between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. I always try to look in the vehicles close to me on the highway to see if they are paying attention, half asleep, or talking on the cell phone. If they meet only one of those descriptions, I back off and get out of their way. Perhaps someone in the traffic division in the Macon Police will read your blog.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Yes..the middle finger---the ultimate punctuation in sign language--when "Have a nice day" just doesn't get it done, we have the one fingered international gesture that speaks volumes. Use only as necessary. Normal dosage recommended-Adults: one as needed to relieve stress during moments of rage. Kids under 18: not recommended.If more than 4 doses in a 24 hour period please consult your physician. Sometimes you must use punctuation! Where would we be without it?

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home