Saturday, August 26, 2006

Tip for the 'You Guys'

Remember when a telephone was just a telephone?

Pick it up. Dial the number. Talk.

Hear it ring. Reach for the receiver. Talk.

Life was simple.

Sigh.

Among the many features on my cell phone are a camera, alarm clock, voice memo and calculator.

It will do other things, too. I’m still waiting to see if I can program it to cook breakfast and cut the grass.

Another feature is a way to calculate your tip at a restaurant. My son, Jake, thinks this is pretty cool. He plays with the phone in the back seat of the car. He usually re-programs the ring tones until we yell at him to stop. Then he moves along to the "tip'' program.

Say the bill is $28.18. Using the standard 15 percent tip, we owe the waiter or waitress $4.23, he tells us.

I don’t need a phone to tell me this. I am rather proud of myself. I can usually figure it out in my head without a calculator, even though I’m mathematically challenged.

And I’m not a cheap tipper. I can be counted on to reward for good service.

But I do have a pet peeve, and I’ve written about this before. Whenever we go to a restaurant, and there are ladies present, it bothers me when the waiter or waitress constantly refer to our group as “you guys.’’

“You guys” has become an annoying buzzword. I know these younger members of the wait staff say it out of habit, but I think it’s impolite. I know others who do the same. I had a long conversation about this with a woman last week.

So I automatically start deducting in my head for the every “you guys’’ that is uttered.

Don’t need a phone for that.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I happen to believe the cell phone e-z tipper is a great idea kudos to your son for showing you guys this wonderful enhancement on the cellular phone thank you sincerly
-You Guyz

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Coming from a different area of the country, I just thought I'd let you know that the "term" you guys has nothing to do with gender. Folks who use it aren't implying that the women at your table look mannish. It's what non-southerners use in place of y'all.

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home