Monday, August 21, 2006




Lip exposure

Macon supermodel Sabrina Sikora’s lips are getting some national exposure.

Eight months ago, Sabrina did a photo shoot for a campaign for Cointreau, a famous French distillery. The campaign featured Sabrina’s lips for a liquor advertisement and can be seen in this month’s issue of Vogue magazine.

Her mother, Laurie, sent me a couple of photos taken by a family friend on a recent trip to San Francisco. The friend said she saw Sabrina’s lips “on the sides of buildings, walls and bus benches.’’

* * * * * * *

Last week, I wrote about the death of J.W. Miller, the 99-year-old farmer from Taylor County. I greatly admired his spirit. Last year, at the age of 98, he went out and bought a tractor. (That's true optimism!) He was grand marshall of this year’s Georgia Strawberry Festival in Reynolds.

I got a very nice note this past Wednesday from Sybil Willingham after she attended Mr. Miller’s funeral at the Taylor County High School Auditorium.

“It was packed,’’ she wrote. “His family took up most of the center -- must have been several hundred! But there were many others of all walks of life who came to pay their respects to the quiet man who taught by example.

“Mr. Miller had a remarkable life by its length and his good health but he also quietly taught his children, grandchildren and all with whom he came in contact that work is honorable, to tell the truth and be honest in your dealings, to help others in need, to trust in God. Mr. Miller left quite a legacy to his family and it is not about money, it is much more important than that.’’

* * * * * * *

This past Saturday morning, I was scheduled to speak to a men’s breakfast club at one of the local retirement communities. They asked me to put it on my calendar about four months ago, and I did.

So I rolled out of bed early Saturday, which is the only day of the week when I can even think about sleeping past 7 a.m. I dressed nicely (for a Saturday) and was 10 minutes early to the breakfast. However, when I walked in the door, the first thing I saw was a giant posterboard of some WWII planes.

It was then I suddenly realized I was NOT the speaker. They have forgotten that they had invited me.

They were slightly embarrassed, and asked me to come back soon.

But I think I’ll be washing my hair every Saturday morning for the next several months.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed;
if you got forgotten about on account of WWII Airplanes, it could have been a lot worse--WWII Airplanes and the love of them affected my entire life, as you know---my two best buddies, Scotty, the military--all because of my love for WWII Airplanes---Life is good---

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home