Friday, August 25, 2006


How many ways can you say rain?

A heavy rain began falling late Thursday afternoon in downtown Macon, and circled around the city into the evening hours.

It was wonderful.

Let me repeat.

It was wonderful.

Rain hasn’t been too plentiful this summer. It has been one of the driest I can remember. We’ve had some recent rains, which have helped some, but we’re still way below average precipitation for this time of year.

Thursday’s rain started falling on me in Jones County and followed my all the way to 120 Broadway. It was raining so hard when I got to my office, I had to stay in the car for 20 minutes before I could get out. I was trapped.

But I loved that rain. I sat there and watched it hammer my windshield. Yeah, I know it caused some power outages and caused a few traffic accidents. We lost our cable TV signal at work, which proved to be a crisis for some folks.

While I was waiting in the car, I started writing down some different ways to describe a heavy rain. I came up with a few. Maybe you can provide some more.

  • It’s raining cats and dogs.
  • It’s a real gully-washer.
  • It’s coming down in buckets.
  • It’s monsoon weather.
  • I just saw Noah floating by on his ark.
  • It’s a super soaker.
  • It’s a frog strangler.
  • It’s a toad choker.
  • It’s a good day for ducks.
  • It’s an umbrella thumper.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really know how to make good use of time, don't you?

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's raining, it's pouring, Magellan is exploring.

8:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home