Wednesday, December 06, 2006

OK, class, what did you learn?


My Writing for the Mass Media class at Georgia College & State University

For the past four months, I have taught a mass communications class at Georgia College & State University in Milledgeville. It is an entry level journalism course – Writing for the Mass Media. I have had 15 students, mostly sophomores, from all over the state – Stone Mountain, Augusta, Lawrenceville, Warner Robins, Savannah and several other cities.

I appreciate these students letting me learn on them in my first experience teaching in the college classroom. I also appreciate them calling me “Professor Grisamore” this semester. I am not a professor, of course, but it made me sound so distinguished. We laughed a lot about that.

Tuesday was our last class. I had them turn in their final exam. It was not your typical final. I did not make them stay up all night cramming information into their heads and racing against the clock to retrieve information they won’t remember five weeks from now, much less five months of five years.

Instead, I asked them to write an 750-1,000 word essay on a simple, but comprehensive question.

What did you learn in this class?

I told them I didn’t want them to go back in the book and rewind and replay every chapter. I did not ask them the elements of a news story, anything about the inverted pyramid, re-define plagiarism or the merits of multicultural sensitivity.

What did you learn? What will stick to your skin? What will you carry with you like a compass? How did it all make you feel?

Judging from what I have already read from their essays, they get it. They learned. That's what teaching is all about.

I have worked hard with them. I have given them assignments, had them write news stories, then got out my red pen and made each page bleed until they got it right. As John Irving once said, writing is an act of revision.

I have shared stories about my job and what makes it most exciting profession in the world because it changes every day. You never know what the next sunrise will bring. And everybody has a story to tell.

In a way, it was a lot like coaching one of my Little League teams a few years ago. These young people come to you an eager bundle of raw energy. You teach them the fundamentals -- how to hit, throw and run the bases. You’ve got to make it fun for them. The joy is watching them grow, have some success and develop a passion for it.

They started out in August as students of MSCM 2204/03.

They now finish as students of the world.

I told them to stay in touch. I still stay in contact with some of my old journalism professors. I call them, write them. We go have coffee.

And I can look into their eyes and see enormous satisfaction in my career. After all, the success of a former student is a direct reflection on them. It is why they chose to teach.

I expect I will have the same measure of pride with these students.


I got them into the habit of reading the newspaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed I know your teaching experience benefited the students and it is good to see you gave a final question they were unable to belch from drilled material. You made them think, and you are right about recalling learned material at a later time. In college I took three courses of chemistry and the only thing I recall is the formula for water. H2SO4.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home