Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Still more from the Gratitude Journal


Photo by Joel Edward Grisamore

On this day before Thanksgiving, I am opening my gratitude journal again.

It is for these things I am thankful:

For big front porches. I wish I had one. … For those weekends when the wife decides: “No, we really don’t have to go to that wedding.’’ …

For stores that are small enough where you can find what you’re looking for without getting winded. … For gravity, which keeps me grounded. … For Forrest Gump, which keeps moving up on my list of all-time favorite movies. …

That I don’t live in a place where people have no manners. … For those times when I don’t have to fight over who gets the chicken drumstick. … For people who speak to you in the elevator instead of just staring at the floor numbers lighting up about the door. … For picnics up at Jack’s Place at the river.

(Coming Thursday: More from the Gratitude Journal.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Grisamore,

Manners! What manners? I have to beg to differ with you. The teens I encounter for the most part don't know what they are. And no,I don't really mean to bash the teenagers (I have two exceptional ones, foreign exchange students living at my house--the 4th and 5th of 5 all exceptional girls!)

And bad manners certainly are not limited to any one generation or gender. But my pet peeves lately both relate to bad manners...one is holding the door for anyone and they not even putting out their hands to take it, nor even mumbling a thank you....my hubby says I should just let go of it since they are too lazy to reach out and take it and expect me to hold it while their whole family including the adults, marches through.

The other is being cut off by drivers! Today we went to get a Christmas tree, I had my two girls, my two grandsons, my husband and myself that comprised the we component in my car. This guy cuts us off in the middle of a very busy intersection and almost hits us, just so he could turn into the fast food place we were headed for. We had to make a panic stop to keep from hitting him! Then he flips us the bird when my husband honked at him. I told my husband to keep driving although that was our intended location as he'd probably be bailing me out of jail for putting 4 kids life at risk (not to mention ours) just because he suddenly had to get over and get some food. Kinda took my high spirits down a notch.

However, here is wishing you and yours and all your associates at the Telegraph a very Merry Christmas and Properous New Year! (My hubby says I alone am supporting the shopkeepers Black Friday!)

Keep writing the great work! I love your columns!

Tina

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home