Monday, November 27, 2006

Dad's Memorial Service


Our family gathered for lunch before the memorial service.

We held the memorial service for my father on Sunday. It was one of the saddest days of my life, and one of the happiest, too. It was more a celebration of his life than the mourning of his death.

More than 30 family members gathered for lunch at John Wesley Villas. The service at First Baptist was about as close to perfect as it could be. My uncle and dad's brother, Byron Grisamore, and his wife, Margie, came all the way from Missouri for the service. Also my cousin, Phillip, and his wife, Donna. It was very special they could be there with us.

My sister, Gay, and I spoke on behalf of the family. My sister, Sally, gave the benediction. My brother, Charles, and sister, Susie, presented the flag to my mother. Two U.S. Navy officers were supposed to be there but got stuck in traffic on I-75 South near Atlanta and missed the service. We had several dozen folks from Atlanta who had the same thing happen. A few of them arrived late, but made the reception. Several had to turn around and go back.

My son, Ed, and nephew, Jack Hall, both read scripture. Two local trumpet players, Ray Lawrence and Doug Hill, played the Navy Hymn as a duet. Our pastor, Bob Setzer, beautifully eulogized my father. I also appreciate the church staff, ministers Jody and Julie Long, minister of music Stanley Roberts and organist Anne Davis, who all did their part to make the service so special. We sang two hymns -- "This is My Fathers World" and "Great is Thy Faithfulness.''
The staff at Hart's Mortuary was tremendous. And the amazing Teddi Wohlford catered the reception.

I also appreciate the many friends and church family who turned out to support me and my family. Among them was Bruce Goddard. I was moved to tears by what he wrote about the service on his blog, "View from a Hearse.'' Read it here.

We reprinted the column I wrote about my dad in the program. Read it here. His memory lives on in each of us.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very sorry about the loss of your Dad. I thought about it when I saw it in the paper. Your family is in our prayers.

Tina

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am also sorry about your family. I saw how my father was when his mom died.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed, you and the family are in our prayers. My dad passed away the first day of Fall,1979 and I have since celebrated his life by doing a kind deed each year on his birthday. Several years ago I met a senior on a boat trip near age 90, and on that date asked him to have a cold drink with me in rememberance and talk. WE had a wonderful chat and the next year on 9/21 I received from him a bird with moveable wings which flys when the wind blows. He made it in his shop and wrote: " I remembered your Dad on this day too".

12:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home