Monday, December 04, 2006

I love a parade


The annual Warner Robins Christmas parade had some 170 participants

I went to two parades on Saturday. I not only attended them, I participated in them.

There was quite a contrast, too. Saturday morning, I was in Warner Robins for the largest Christmas parade in Middle Georgia. That afternoon, I was in Bolingbroke for one of the smallest.

The 47th annual Warner Robins Parade was special, as always. And it just kept coming and coming, with some 170 participants. It lasted an hour and 45 minutes, but it was the most well-organized parade I’ve ever seen. The execution was almost flawless. JaLynn Hudnall headed up the parade committee this year, and did an excellent job. The theme this year was "Christmas Traditions.''

I had the opportunity to do live commentary of the parade on WNNG-AM radio with Hank Brigmond and Joe Bishop, along with Joyce Hutcherson, the director of the Warner Robis Senior Citizens Center. It was a lot of fun – and wearing those headphones helped keep my ears warm!

By the time the Bolingbroke parade started at 3, it had warmed up. This is always one of my favorite Christmas events, and I was so disappointed when I had to miss last year.

It’s very small and very hometown but it's very appealing and the crowds are always huge. There are only a few large floats. Most of what you see is church groups, boy scout troops and people who just fall in line to be in the parade. You’ll see trucks and wagons. There were even a few children on tricycles.

I was one of the judges for the floats, along with Tiffany Andrews, the executive director of the Forsyth-Monroe County Chamber of Commerce. Afterward, wegot to ride in the parade. Steve Stokes , the sales operations manager at Riverside Ford, drove us in a Mustang convertible, so that was pretty cool.

Many thanks to Vicki Smith for her hard work organizing the parade and asking me to be a part of it, since I live in LB – Lower Bolingbroke.

There were six other parades in Middle Georgia this past weekend. Don't forget the 44th annual Macon Jaycees Christmas Parade on Sunday in Macon.

Connie Ham's Middle Georgia Realty had winning float in Bolingbroke parade

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

what time is macon's parade?

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home