Monday, November 06, 2006

If elected, I will serve

I’ve never had any real aspirations to run for political office. I’ve never imagined myself as a senator or mayor. No real ambition to sit in an oval office or have my own parking space at the Capitol.

I don’t know if I could handle all the mud-slinging of the campaign season. Someone once told me I was too honest to be a politician.

At least one person out there started a campaign for me. In the 2002 election, I did receive one write-in vote for lieutenant governor. That left me only 1,037,682 votes shy of Mark Taylor, but who's counting?

On a recent morning on my way to work, I was traveling east on Riverside Drive toward downtown. I crossed the bridge that goes over I-75, then up the hill by Riverside Cemetery. I noticed a giant billboard at the corner of Madison Street.

In big letters it read: Elect GRIS

Actually, it read "Elect Grist.'' Rebecca Liles Grist is running for civil court judge and chief magistrate of Bibb County.

But the right part of the sign was briefly obstructed from my view, so I had at least a three-second moment of revelation.

Oh, well,. It was fun while it lasted.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gris for Governor!

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You would have my vote!!!

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home