Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Thoreau-ing a tailgate party



I was strolling down East Montgomery Street in Milledgeville Tuesday afternoon when I passed in front of the library at Georgia College & State University.

There were several cars and trucks parked along the street, including an old, black Chevrolet pickup truck with an interesting sticker on the tailgate.

No, it had nothing to do with NASCAR, chewing tobacco or the Georgia Bulldogs. It didn’t say anything clever like: “A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.’’

Actually, I was surprised at how cultured it was.

It read: “I’m Thoreau-ing My Life Away.’’

Imagine that.

A Henry David Thoreau fan. A Walden lover. The owner was probably in the library reading Civil Disobedience.

If you’re interested in doing a little “Thoreau-ing” he now has his own blog, even though he’s been dead for 144 years.

Yes, that’s right. Some enterprising soul is blogging Thoreau’s journals on line.

Thoreau on a Chevy tailgate. I haven't seen everything yet, but I'm getting closer.

1 Comments:

Blogger tadkil said...

That is stupendous.

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home