Friday, September 22, 2006

Sweet Baby Jake and the Big Burrito


Jake is the youngest of the three Grisamore boys. He is 12 years old, going on 20.

Having two older brothers has made him the most worldly pre-teen I’ve ever seen. He knows and understands things I didn’t know and understand until I was 30. Heck, maybe even now.

I got a call from his seventh-grade math teacher last week. When the teacher calls at suppertime, you brace yourself: “Uh oh, what’s wrong?’’

Quite the contrary. “I don’t think I’m challenging Jake enough,’’ his teacher said. “Until we start getting into Algebra, I’m going to let Jake co-teach the class.’’

Earlier this week, he received a letter from the Talent Identification Program at Duke University. He is going to take the SAT.

He got new shoes last week. His foot is now officially larger than his father’s. He is filling out T-shirts his brothers have worn in college. He is a head taller than his mother.

I guess what I’m trying to say is our “baby” is growing up. This smacked us in the face again Thursday night when we went to Caliente’s and Jake ordered a burrito that cost $9.

It’s called the M.O.A.B. That’s short for the “Mother Of All Burritos.” It’s about as big as a football and must have weighed 2 pounds.

But Sweet Baby Jake nearly finished it off at the restaurant. Had eight bites left. He carried the rest of it home for a bedtime snack.

I know. I know. They grow up in a hurry.

But I’m still wondering what happened to the little boy I used to pick up from preschool every afternoon, buckle into his car seat, take home, fix lunch and watch Blue’s Clues on Nickelodeon before his nap.

He’s wearing size-12 shoes, studying for the SAT and eating $9 burritos.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

... and he's a pretty good actor.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To one proud parent from another:
Jackie Kennedy said one thing that I agree with - raising children is the most important job in the world. If we don't do that right, nothing else matters.

Cherie's mother

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I LOVE to remind your big Jake at times (like when he's telling my two sons they need the REAL Croc shoes, eating weird combinations of food from my Fridgedair, and still awake at 2 a.m.) that even though he is taller and smarter than me, I have changed his diapers on several occasions! Seriously, it's been an honor and privelege to be part of each other's lives! Since your three sons and my three sons are the same age span, I really look to you and Delinda for much inspiration and can rest easy knowing how great your's have turned out! Besides all their achievements, they are the kindest, most well mannered, and well rounded young men I know! Thanks for being great parenting role models! Love ya'll

SonyaMilam

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As the creator of the M.O.A.B. allow to so say well done. It scares me to hear stories like this. Our daughter was three weeks old on Thursday, she is our first and the scariest thing in the world would be to blink and miss it all.
Cal
Don't despair over the MOAB, one day at the old store, a 9 year old came in with her Brownie troop and polished off the burrito like it was nothing. That little girls parents have a entirely different set of concerns facing them.

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I never forget to visit this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Plenty of useful information on grisamore.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Here is a fact for you. Recent Research displays that nearly 70% of all USA adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] Therefore if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am blogger of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health expert who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home