Thursday, September 14, 2006

Growth or shift?


(Photo by Dylan Wilson, The Telegraph)

There was a huge groundbreaking on Tuesday for the new retail center called “The Shoppes at River Crossing.’’ It’s almost a mile from the banks of the Ocmulgee River, so it’s a stretch to say there’s much of a river to cross there. However, a small creek, Beaverdam Creek, runs south of the property.

This breathtaking new complex, no doubt designed with hordes of North Macon SUV-driving, credit-card carrying women in mind, will include two huge retailers, Belk and Dillard’s, as anchors, along with a host of other major players.

Build it, and they will come. And spend.

Developers have been talking about putting a “mall’’ along this same corridor of Riverside Drive at I-75 since I moved to Macon in 1978. Now they’re knocking down trees and moving dirt. In another 18 months, they will surely hit paydirt.

There has been a lot of talk about how our community is “growing.” It has been coming out of the mouths of elected officials, which can be a dangerous thing.

I’m no urban planner, economist or member of the Chamber of Commerce.

But I will say this: I’m not sure I would define it as growth.

We’re shifting.

It happens a lot of other places, too. A new store opens. An older store shuts its doors. A new shopping complex is built with a bunch of bells and whistles. And an established shopping center starts on a path of decline.

Wal-Mart has caused the demise of so many mom-and-pop stores it could be tried for storeslaughter. I expect it’s going to happen here when the new Bass Pro Shop opens this fall. One giant birth. Dozens of little deaths.

Other businesses don’t close but simply relocate to the newer venues. They want to be where the action is. Ever hear of the "doughnut effect"? Everybody keeps moving "out" and the hole in the middle keeps getting larger.

For years, downtown Macon has been trying to stem the tide of suburban flight. Eisenhower Parkway, once the region’s prime retail corridor, has started to see an erosion of its base. And I notice where Butler Toyota, one of Macon’s largest car dealerships, will soon be pulling up stakes and moving to the corner of Riverside Drive and the new Wonderland.

Once an Eisenhower mainstay, Westgate Mall is just a skeleton of its former self. Macon Mall must face the possibility of losing two of its six anchor tenants – Belk and Dillard’s. Since Parisian was recently bought out by Belk, the dynamics may change there, too.

And what will be the effect on all of this to Eisenhower Crossing? It’s the newest player. Will the North Maconites still shop if there is a similar offering (Target? Best Buy? Home Depot?) at River Crossing?

No, businesses will move.

Jobs will move.

People will move.

In Macon, we can splash it across the front page.

In the long run, I wonder if everyone will be rejoicing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree that Walmart is totally to blame. I shop there as a last resort. Recently, my son needed shoe strings for his dress shoes. After visiting 5 shoe stores in Macon & Warner Robins, I was forced to go to Walmart. I feel the shoe store was at fault. Why would a shoe store not carry shoe strings? Only one store had them, 36" long ilo the 27" I needed. The clerk tried to convince me 9" wouldn't make a difference. I felt they should have carried more than 1 length. So is Walmart or the store involved driving them out of business?

9:45 AM  
Blogger KAT said...

Mr. Grisamore:
I have been reading deadmalls.com. It's a pretty eerie website. Regency Mall and Shannon Mall in Georgia are featured.

I wonder if Macon Mall will accompany Houston Mall in being moribund? Your doughnut theory is very plausible unless a city has enough tourism or, like Atlanta, has a thriving downtown. Macon has been a socioeconomic basketcase. This poorly-planned town has a solution to urban decay; move out further. As if this solves anything. Who can blame people for fleeing deteriorating parts of town?

It is only partially unfair to blame Wal-Mart for killing off the Mom-and-Pops. I sense there is a predatory element to Wal-Mart. I do love reaping the benefits of free enterprise and we have that right as customers.

Last year while on a back road between Atlanta and Fayetteville I saw a nice turquoise and red supermarket that appeared to be abandoned right after it was to be stocked and opened. This is clearly an excess in big-box building. Municipalities should charge an abandonment fee for these eyesores.

As for the "North Macon SUV-driving women" comment I think that is an unfair stereotype of the potential shoppers to whom the new center will cater. There are normal, middle-class Accord driving women who don't want to shop with the scruff invading Macon Mall. The shopping center's owners want to make it upscale so as to not magnetize it towards a downmarket element.

Now if Warner Robins and Houston County could avoid the urban decay I see happening it would be a lesson learned from Macon. Six years after the Watson Boulevard Wal-Mart moved into new digs it has become what the Westgate Wal-Mart was ten years before it closed.

2:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a way to get some comments: bash Walmart and the SUV driving women! Though I say Amen to it all! I only use the W place when I have to. Give me the big K in WR anytime. And when specialty items are needed, give me Tina at Tina's Shoes, Bert Jr. or the 3rd at Maxwell's furniture, Mike at Hinshaw's Frames, or Dan Riley at American Carpet and Cleaning anytime. The family owned, customer oriented, down or mid-town establishements will get my business everytime!

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home