Monday, September 04, 2006

Writing is a labor of love


I’m lucky. I have always known I wanted to be a writer. For me, it h as always been a labor of love.
So, on this Labor Day, I have compiled a few of my favorite quotes about writing.

  • ''A small drop of ink, falling like dew, upon a thought, produces that which makes thousands, perhaps millions, think.’’ – Lord Byron
  • ''Writing is the hardest work in the world not involving heavy lifting.’’ – Pete Hamill
  • ''When I sit down at my writing desk, time seems to vanish. I think it's a wonderful way to spend one's life. '' – Erica Jong
  • ''All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.’’ – Ernest Hemingway
  • “Write what you know about.’’ -- Mark Twain
  • “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.’’ -- Winnie the Pooh. (A. A. Milne)
  • "No tears in the writer, no tears in the reader." -- Robert Frost
  • “When I'm writing, I know I'm doing the thing I was born to do.’’ – Anne Sexton
  • “There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein.’’ -- Red Smith
  • "'Tell me a story' still comprise four of the most powerful words in English.’’ – Pat Conroy
  • “The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightening and the lightening bug.’’ – Mark Twain
  • “Easy reading is damn hard writing.’’ -- Nathaniel Hawthorne
  • “To me, the greatest pleasure of writing is not what it's about, but the inner music the words make.'' -- Truman Capote
  • “You can’t wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club.’’ – Jack London
  • “Nulla dies sine linea. Never a day without a line.” – Horace
  • "Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can see only as far as your headlights but you can make the whole trip that way.’’ – E.L. Doctorow
  • “Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say.’’ – Sharon O’Brien
  • “You don't write because you want to say something, you write because you've got something to say.’’ – F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • “There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man that he does not know till he takes up a pen to write.’’ -- William Makepeace Thackeray
  • "A writer has the duty to be good, not lousy; true, not false; lively, not dull; accurate, not full of error. He should tend to lift people up, not lower them down." -- E. B. White
  • “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.’’ – Ben Franklin
  • “Good writing is supposed to evoke sensation in the reader -- not the fact that it is raining, but the feeling of being rained upon." -- E.L. Doctorow
  • "What is written without effort is in generally read without pleasure." -- Samuel Johnson
  • "Words are sacred. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones, in the right order, you can nudge the world a little." -- Tom Stoppard
  • “Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind.’’ – Rudyard Kipling
  • “All the fun is in how you say a thing.’’ – Robert Frost
  • “In good writing, words become one with things.’’ – Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • “All good books are alike in that they are truer than if they had really happened and after you are finished reading one you will feel that all that happened to you and afterwards it all belongs to you: the good and the bad, the ecstasy, the remorse and sorrow, the people and the places and how the weather was.” – Ernest Hemingway
  • “I am a bear of very little brain, and long words bother me.’’ -- Winnie the Pooh (A. A. Milne)
  • “All good writing is swimming under water and holding your breath.’’ -- F. Scott Fitzgerald

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well I am glad you love it, but how about writing about something that matters? What is being done about over priced gas? What is being done about our cars that use this over priced gas? Life isn't all about football, TV shows, ice cream and no account people. What about the solders fighting in Iraq where we aren't wanted?

Good Day Sir

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home