Thursday, August 31, 2006

Dames are See-Worthy


(Photo courtesy of Leah Yetter)

I have always tried to support the arts in Macon. I believe it is one of the most important cornerstones in the quality of life for any community.

I am fortunate that my appreciation of the arts has rubbed off on my children. My oldest son, Ed, is an art major at Columbus State University. He is one of the most creative young men I know. My middle son, Grant, is a mass communications major at Georgia College & State University. He is deeply passionate about music.

Jake, my youngest, is only 12, but he has become very involved in theater. He has participated in two mainstage productions at Theatre Macon and two others through the Youth Actors Company. He has performed in several plays at our church, and attended Theater Camp at MidSummer Macon in June. He played the role of King Charles in “Pippin,’’ and we were so proud our buttons were popping.

I say all this because his latest play is “Dames At Sea.’’ The final three shows of this week-long production are tonight (7:30 p.m.), Friday (8 p.m.) and Saturday (8 p.m.) at Theatre Macon.

It is a delightful spoof of the Broadway musicals of the 1930s. It is very entertaining. Jake learned to tap dance at the beginning of the summer to prepare for his role.

I am very proud of these young people. We have incredible talent in Macon. If you haven’t seen the show, I would highly recommend it. I would recommend it, even if Jake wasn’t in it.

I say all this because, since the show opened last Friday, the crowds have been somewhat disappointing. My guess is part of it is because so many folks are unfamiliar with "Dames at Sea,'' which started off-Broadway in the 1960s and helped launch the career of actress Bernadette Peters.

Folks are more likely to go see something they are familiar with, like "The Sound of Music" last spring and "Oklahoma,'' and "Charlotte's Web," which are on YAC's playbill for January and February.

But if you are looking for something entertaining to do tonight, Friday or Saturday, climb aboard for “Dames At Sea.’’

It's fun. I promise you won’t be disappointed.

(Photo courtesy of Leah Yetter)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so right, Ed! It was a wonderful production and Jake was just superb. Gotta know: what role did Bernadette Peters play in the 60's?

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home