Sunday, September 10, 2006

Downtown living


Delinda and I took the “Tour of Downtown Living.” It was a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon. I saved my football watching for later.

I don’t know how many tickets the Downtown Council sold but we saw a lot of people. The event seemed to be well-attended. The trolleys were a nice touch, although we either drove or walked to most of the venues.

We skipped the downtown museums – the sports hall of fame, music hall of fame, Tubman and children’s museums because we’ve already been in those facilities many times. We also did not go to the Woodruff House. I’ve been there so many times they should give me a key to the place. Same way with the Cox Capitol Theatre, one of the city's most impressive recent renovations.

What we were most interested in some places we had never been -- inside the historic homes and loft apartments. We went to the houses on Magnolia and Bond streets. That was neat. Also, the loft apartments on Cotton and Mulberry streets. We were absolutely blown away.

And the Shultz’s home on Bond Street? I’m absolutely speechless. I need to take a reserve an entire day to see that.

There are some exciting things happening downtown, if you just stop to take a look. You would never know it just passing by on the street. I can see why they’re becoming so popular. They are beautiful and spacious. We could have closed our eyes and imagined we were in apartments in New York or Paris instead of Macon.

The place that impressed me the most, though, was the Armory Ballroom. I was really looking forward to seeing it since its recent renovation, and I was not disappointed. You can read more about it as the Armory Ballroom website.

I had been in that building many times when it was the old Trading Post. And I have written several stories about its history as the home of the Macon Volunteers, a volunteer military unit. Over the years, it has hosted many dances, balls and other events. I join others in applauding those who restored this magnificent facility located in such a prominent downtown location.

It was a fun, fun day. I hope they plan another one of these soon. I don't think a single person on the tour could complain they didn't get their money's worth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home