Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The funeral procession

I remember the first funeral I attended as a small child. A relative had died, and we rode in the procession with the rest of the family.

I was sad because everyone else was grieving. I don't remember crying, though. Maybe I really didn't understand death.

What made the biggest impression on me that day was watching every car pull over as the line of cars in the funeral procession passed by slowly.

"Why are all the cars all pulling over to the side of the road?" I asked my mother.

"Out of respect,'' she said, softly.

I thought about that the other day when I was approached by a funeral procession traveling west on Highway 22 outside of Milledgeville.

I started to slow down. I tapped the brakes and prepared to pull over. But nobody in front of me or behind me was stopping.

Except for the police car, followed by the hearse, it was just another line of cars with their lights on.

I don't know the name of the deceased or where the procession was traveling. Construction workers didn't even bother to removed their hard hats.

I heard a friend of mine once say "the world ain't gonna stop when you die.''

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Ed,

Pulling over for a funeral procession is something I will always do. Why? As your mother told you, out of respect for the deceased and their family. It is a practice that is fast fading away just as the respect for human life is fast fading away. Actually respect of any kind is fast fading away. The memory of my elders pulling over and removing their hats, if worn, is etched indelibly in my mind. Black, white, green, pink or purple, it didn't then and does not now matter. There are some things in life that you should just do. Pulling over and removing your hat for a funeral procession is one of them.

Your friend in Dodge County,

Wyndol M. Shurley

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to say this, but I think sometimes this tradition is unpractical. I was stuck in traffic in Athens one day on my way to an exam due to one of these funeral processions. If it were a two lane road I wouldn't mind so much however this was Atlanta Highway- a 4 lane road. It cause some huge problems not to mention making me late for my exam (and yes, I left early too, I always do).

I do think however it would be nice if people would remove their hats- I hadn't thought of that.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As being one of the persons that people pulled over for (not the one dead, silly) it was very comforting to know there were people that I didn't even know, give respect for my loved one. I'm all for it to continue. May not be practical, but gee at that particular time who cares but the people in the actual funeral cars. Really did touch my heart.. But you are right, respect as such as gone out the window. People don't even hold open doors anymore for people when they leave a building. No thank you, excuse me..My mom would hit me upside the head if I did what some people do now. Oh well, just my 2 cents worth. (yeah I pay in pennies too)

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home