Monday, October 02, 2006

Back at the Blog Cabin

Well, I’m back at the blog cabin. No, I didn’t really go fishing. Somebody asked me yesterday how they were biting. I just laughed.

Actually, I took a few days of because I hit the wall a couple of weeks ago. I’ve been going non-stop this fall. I needed a little R&R and to whittle down a rather long honey-do list.

I doubt some of my co-workers at the Telegraph even noticed I was gone. I’m never at the office much anyway. I’m a moving target. I’m not sitting behind that desk unless I need to be. I will be on the road most of the afternoon today, too.

A lot can happen when you’re out for a week. The e-mailbox overfloweth and there’s a pile of phone calls to return.

Let’s see. While I was “gone fishin’’’ the world continued to spin off its axis without me. Who would have ever thought eating spinach would be like playing with a rattlesnake? That’s one of my favorite vegetables, and now I’m afraid to stick a fork in it.

Same goes for oysters, too. Another alert has been issued. People are getting sick and dying. I never eat oysters raw anyway. I cooked a batch at the beach in early June and spread them on some saltine crackers with Tabasco sauce. It was heavenly.

The gods have gotten a little crankier. Suddenly some folks would have you believe Jim Marshall is more conservative than Ronald Reagan. In a new report, Atlanta has been rated the worst city for “sleeping” in the U.S. (Makes me want to go take a nap.) Another study is trying to pin the blame on some behavior problems in children on whether they've had their tonsils removed.

On Friday, a small airplane made an emergency landing on I-75 just a stone's throw from the neighborhood where I used to live. I'm still shaking my head and wondering how nobody was hurt -- or killed.

I’m trying to hang on for dear life on this crazy planet. I saw a commercial over the weekend where Oral B has introduced a new toothbrush that has a “computer” in it.Tells you when you're not brusing hard enough. wonder if it crashes, too.

I'm sure English teachers everywhere are rejoicing now that Neil Armstrong’s missing “a” has been found when he planted his big toe in all that moon dust many moons ago. Frankly, I haven't been losing a lot of sleep over it for the past 37 years, and I don't even live in Atlanta.

But the worst thing that happened to me on my "fishing trip" was getting a letter from the AARP. Yep, they now have my name in their database, and they’ve already started recruiting me.

Ouch.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back..we missed YOU.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad about the AARP thing. I just turned 30 and I've been getting their recruitment packets for the past two years!

11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Back!

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home