Tuesday, October 10, 2006

If these teeth could talk



OK, so I didn’t drive 128 miles from Macon to Royston on a Sunday afternoon just to see Ty Cobb’s false teeth.

But, hey, once I made it inside the Ty Cobb Museum I just had to take a peek at those dentures.

I can’t remember who told me about them. But after I heard about this most unusual piece of history, I put it on my list of “1,347 Things To See Before I Die.’’

Several years ago, I went to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. Of all the great history in that place, one of the most popular items on display is Bob Lanier’s size-22 shoes.

People love to see oddball items.

It’s the same way with Cobb’s bicuspids. “The Georgia Peach” had quite an impressive set of choppers.

The museum opened in Cobb’s hometown in July 1998. It has a nifty collection of other memorabilia that belonged to the greatest hitter who ever played the game.

Cobb’s 1907 American League batting champion medal is on display, along with an awesome array of bats, rare photographs and a great documentary film narrated by Larry Munson with special comments from Chipper Jones.

Still, one of the most popular items in the museum is Cobb’s dentures.

Some folks, like me, just have to see them.

If only they could talk ... oh, the stories those teeth could tell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home