Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Soup's on



Over the past three months, my son, Grant, has acquired a few things most 19-year-old college sophomores would never dream of possessing. If e-Bay has it, chances are he's in on the bidding.

He’s not your typical shopper. He loves oddball stuff. He recently bought an ant farm, a piece of the Berlin Wall and a seat from the old Atlanta Fulton-County Stadium.

I saw him for a few minutes on Tuesday, and he couldn’t wait to take me upstairs to his apartment. He had a gift for me.

It was a soup ladle he had ordered off the Internet. But not just any soup ladle.

It had been autographed by “The Soup Nazi.’’

You have to be a Seinfeld fan to fully appreciate this. We are all huge Seinfeld fans at our house, and this was one of the classic episodes.

The sitcom character was based on a real New York City soup vendor named Al Yeganheh. His Manhattan restaurant is called Soup Kitchen International.

Yeganheh was immortalized by the Seinfeld series because of his strict rules for ordering soup. Patrons must be prepared to order, have their money ready, move directly to the left after ordering, stay in single file line, order other items (bread, crackers) when placing the soup order and no talking or public displays of affection in line.

The spoon was signed by Larry Thomas, who was cast as the Soup Nazi on the show.

He signed it for me: “Ed: No Soup For You!”

I’m going to add my ladle to my own collection. I have a piece of piece of the original hedges from Sanford Stadium in Athens, part of brick fireplace from the sharecropper’s house where Jackie Robinson was born in Cairo and a pen Tennessee Williams once used to sign an autograph.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed,
What a delightful gift your son gave to you. We are all Seinfeld fans at my house and the Soup Nazi is a great episode. It makes me smile to remember the great episodes and the sitcom's trivia is interspersed in our lives and makes us all laugh still. Sometimes the gift's that are connected to humor make the best ones.
By the way, I look forward to your writing. It is always interesting because you write about ordinary places and folks who are truly worth reading about. Your writing is tasteful, classy and always kind.

12:16 PM  
Blogger Ed Grisamore said...

Thanks, Judy, for the kind words. We are hopelessly addicted to Seinfeld re-runs at at my house. We watch it every night and have bought every episode available on DVD. We've got just about every episode memorized. When something happens in real life, we often relate it to an episode of Seinfeld. I hope to go see the "Soup Nazi" when I'm in New York next month!

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm iѕ anyone else haνing problems wіth the іmageѕ on this
blog loading? Ӏ'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blοg.
Any feed-bасk would be greatly appreciateԁ.


Неre is my web sitе ::
pure leverage mlm

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home