Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Do or Digestive

I was sitting on an examining table waiting for the doctor. Every time I heard footsteps in the hall, I thought it might be him.

I didn't know whether to cross my legs or sit on my hands. These are not the most comfortable pieces of equipment. Too long to qualify as a chair. Too short for a bed.

Yes, there are always a few jitters at the doctor’s office.

The nurse came by to take my temperature, pulse and blood pressure. The pressure was a little higher than it should be.

“That’s because you’re at the doctor’s office,’’ she explained.

“But I’m not really nervous!’’ I said, biting my lip.

She left and closed the door. I was alone again. Waiting.

I was trying to get my mind off the idle moments by studying a chart of the digestive system, hanging on the back of the door.

There was the duodenum and a schematic section of the stomach wall.

I decided to pass the time by seeing how many words I could form out of a word:

DIGESTIVE
Dig
Diet
Dive
Is
It
Give
Get
Set
Tide
Side
Vet
Ed
Tie
Edit
Vest
Digest
Gest
Site
Die

I stopped there. That last one was not good vibes when you’re at the doctor’s office.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For extra fun, one can make a sentence from the word "digestive".
For instance, "See I dig tv".

Morton

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take an ipod with relaxing music next time. Don't look at those disections of good parts. It only makes you wonder if yours looks half as good as those does.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home