Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy birthday ... sort of

I would like to wish my father a happy birthday today.

Yes, it really is his birthday, and he is 82 years old, although the date on his birth certificate reads Nov. 1 and that’s the day we always celebrate.

But my dad was born on a cold, dreary night in Jamesport, Mo. It was the last night in October in 1924. He was the youngest of my grandparents’ three children.

A country doctor named Dr. Harris rode by horseback to the Grisamore farmhouse. He had been summoned by a neighbor’s party line on a battery-operated telephone.

It was a long and difficult delivery, and my father was a frank breech baby. He arrived in the world at about 11 p.m.

But the clock wasn’t the problem. It was the calendar.

Under no circumstances did my grandmother want her child born on Halloween, so she convinced Dr. Harris to change the date of birth to Nov. 1 on the birth certificate.

It's a story my family loves to share at this time of the year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of your Father's passing.That was a beautiful birthday tribute piece by a son.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Ed Grisamore said...

Thanks. It has been a difficult three weeks. I appreciate the kind words. I plan to write my Wednesday column about Dad.

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home