Thursday, March 29, 2007

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah slept here



It seems every time Disney does something, there is some group out there criticizing it.

So it really should come as no surprise that the recent decision to “consider” re-releasing the classic “Song of the South” is causing some controversy. There are those who contend it is racist in its depiction of Southern plantation blacks.

Gimme a break.

The animated film was made in 1946. That was 60 years ago – different times – and it is looking back at a period of time even further back than that.

Still, it’s 2007, and some folks are demanding we apologize for slavery. Most of us moved past all this a long time ago. Not proud of it, but certainly not trying to re-write history, either.
Why is it all being stirred up? And why is it some people are never satisfied unless they are stirring something up?

But that’s not the purpose of today’s “Give Us Thy Daily Gris.’’

I’ve been whistling and humming Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah for the past several days. Can’t seem to get it out of my head.

I have come across a local connection to the making of the Disney movie, but you’ll have to wait until Friday’s column in the Telegraph to read about that.

In the meantime, let’s string together the Middle Georgia thread of Joel Chandler Harris, the man whose tales of Uncle Remus provided the inspiration for “Song of the South.’’

Of course, Harris was born in Eatonton and worked as a typesetter for both The Macon Telegraph and The Monroe Advertiser in Forsyth.

A few weeks ago, I visited the Monroe County History Society, which has a neat little museum at the train depot near the former site of Tift College.

There, they have the typesetter table that Harris used at the Advertiser and a brief history of Harris as an apprentice newspaperman in Forsyth.

Here is what it says:

Before writing his Uncle Remus tales, Joel Chandler Harris served as an apprentice typesetter at The Monroe Advertiser between 1868 and 1870. Although he spent only three short years in Forsyth, those years had a profound effect on him, as his personal letters reveal.

After moving from Forsyth to Savannah to work for a larger newspaper, Harris wrote: “My history is a peculiarly sad and unfortunate one – and the three years in Forsyth are the very brightest of my life.’’ He went on to say that he had never really known what a friend was until he came to Forsyth. He called his sojourn in that town “…a precious memorial of what would otherwise be as bleak and desolate as winter.’’

Below is a photograph I took of the typesetter’s table he used at the Advertiser.

.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you! Song of the South was one of the most wonderful movies of my childhood. It taught love between black and white. How could anyone not like it?? There are some people who have NO life that will find fault with everything. These type people do not have a place im my world. Again, Thank you for a wonderful article.

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to see some info about this wonderful family movie...PLEASE PEOPLE... LET IT JUST BE A TIME IN THE PAST AND MAKE NOTHING MORE OF IT....I AM SINGING ALONG WITH YOU

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed I recall seeing Song of the South at the old Bradley Theatre in Columbus when I was 11 or 12 years old. I sure would enjoy watching it again. As for the controversey, have you heard the Florida State Song, Suwannee River, is being changed because some considers it racial?
John G. Kelley,Jr.

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Song of the South was the first movie I saw at a theatre. My Aunt Mryt took my cousins and I to see it at the Rylander in Americus. Wonderful memories. About three years ago, I purchased the video from a vendor in Andersonville. It has Japanese subtitles. Go figure. I've loaned it to many who want their children to see it and share some great memories. One of the characters is Aunt Doshia. My mom's name is Doshia and she's an aunt to many. I also own some of the books, many written in what we now call ebonics...............
Keep humming!!!!!!!

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home