Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The man in the rear-view mirror

I was making a left turn from Riverside Drive onto College Street Monday afternoon. Dozens of cars were coming from the other direction, so I had to wait for them to pass.

Most of them were going at least 45-50 mph. They kept coming around a sharp curve. There was a distance of about 100 feet beween the next-to-the-last and last car, so there was the shortest of breaks in the action. But it was my judgment that there wasn't enough time to try to turn between them.

Apparently, the driver behind me didn’t feel the same way. He started honking his horn. I don’t read lips, but I’m pretty sure he wasn’t reciting scripture.

I don’t prefer being broadsided by a speeding vehicle on a Monday afternoon. That’s why I didn’t risk it.

It was not a good day to die, and I certainly didn’t want to take everyone in the other vehicle with me.

I’m rather proud to say that I usually react well in these situations. I'm calm, cool and collected. I don’t yell obscenities out the window. I don’t exercise my middle figure. There is no confrontation.

After I made my turn, this guy tailed me all the way up College Street before turning onto Georgia Avenue down to Hardeman. He wasn’t’ driving a Model A, but he definitely had a Type A personality.

I also figured his blood pressure is probably 320/210.

I figured he was in a bad mood because he had Duke winning it all in the NCAA office pool.

I figured he was having a bad hair day.

Or he was not too fond of it being a Monday, the most rotten of days.

Or his allergies were bothering him.

But I’m saving the funniest part for last. When he pulled even with me at the stop light, I looked over.

I knew the guy!!! Known him for years. He came by my office and bought a book for his mother a few months ago.

He had no idea it was me.

Should I tell him about this the next time I see him?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now we have to know who it is...

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If he buys your books, he probably reads your blogs. Good chance he knows by now.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

definitely say something! maybe he'll realize you don't always know who is in the other vehicle or what they have with them. what if you had even more road rage than him...and a gun???? not a good combination...

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just make people squirm, was it me??? A good laugh....maybe a good lesson..

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say something. Not in a mean way, but definitely let him know you saw him.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ed, Sorry, cannot sympathize with you. I lean more to the Guy behind you. Have been in his shoes more times than I like to remember. He probably does not care that you know who he is, next time he will just blow louder horn.
Best Wishes, Anne

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home