Friday, March 30, 2007

Buckeyes = Bucks


I have suddenly become an Ohio State basketball fan.
Go Buckeyes!
I don’t think I have ever rooted for Ohio State in anything. But, this weekend, I hope the Buckeyes make more Bucket-eyes than the teams they're playing.
No, I don’t have Ohio State to win it all in the NCAA office pool. I’m so far out of it now I don’t have a prayer.
But somebody close to me does. Since I can't win, I'm pulling for him.
If Ohio State wins the NCAA title, my youngest son Jake will be a semi-rich man. He should finish first in the office pool. At the very least, he’ll be in the money.
At the start of the NCAA tournament two weeks ago, I wrote a blog called “A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.’’
Sometimes the people who are the least familiar with the subject – in this case, college basketball -- sometimes do the best.
The daughter of a co-worker once won the pool by picking teams based on the ferociousness of their nickname.
Jake is another classic example. When I gave him a bracket sheet, I had to explain how it worked, how the teams were seeded and the laws of probability.
“A No. 1 seed is usually going to beat a No. 16 seed,’’ I told him. "That’s just the way it works. But a No. 8 vs. No. 9 is roll-the-dice time. And there always are a few No. 3, 4 and 5 seeds who somehow manage to get upset along the way. A few Cinderellas usually come out of the pack. So don't just play by the numbers.''
He nodded that he understood, but I really had my doubts that he did. He took the bracket sheet and filled out the whole thing in five minutes.
No hair pulling. No pondering. No flipped coins or the biting of fingernails.
Five minutes. Five minutes? He hasn't watched five minutes of basketball all season.
But, after the first weekend, he was in first place.
After the second weekend, he was still in first place.
And, if Ohio State wins, he will be rolling in the dough.
Bucks from the Buckeyes.
Yep, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Jake! I didn't have a dog in this fight until now. How can a GA fan pull for Florida.

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw, man given the news this am, does he get a consolation prize??

9:38 AM  
Blogger Ed Grisamore said...

Jake finished third! Not bad for a rookie. If Ohio State had won, he would have finished first!!!

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home