Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ordering a snowball


A photo of the snow being shipped from Colorado (posted on eBay)

During a moment of temporary insanity Tuesday night, I placed a bid for some of that Colorado snow currently being sold on eBay.

In case you missed it, a Colorado couple is selling samples of snow from the two blizzards that dumped more than 4 feet of snow in parts of the state last week.

“I figured eBay has ghosts and all sorts of weird stuff, so why not snow?" said Mary Walker, the woman behind the snow sales.

It’s the old supply and demand theory at work. They’re up to their eyeballs in the frozen white stuff. And here in Macon, where temperatures are expected to reach 73 degrees later this week, I figured we’re going to be lucky to see a single snowflake this winter.

So I placed my bid at 99 cents, plus $2 shipping. For that price I will receive a small jar with the label “2006 Colorado Blizzard Snow.” It is being imported from Lamar, Colorado, which was one of the heaviest-hit areas in the state.

In her sales pitch on e-Bay, Mary claims the snow is “fresh from what is being called the storm of the century.’’

“I will do my best to get it to you in snow form but I can not guarantee they will arrive frozen!'' Mary said.

This is her disclaimer, adding that the snow will be shipped first-class mail (with a tracking number) and sent out in a leak-proof container in case it does melt during shipping. (You can pretty much bet it will arrive in liquid form.)

It will be shipped today. I could save on shipping costs if I went to Colorado and picked up the snow myself. I could have all I wanted if I did that, kind of like an all-you-can-eat buffet.

The snow has a no-return policy, but I figured that.

I will let you know when it arrives. I’ll make a snowball and show it to you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has the snow arrived yet?

9:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I moved to Washington from Macon over the summer, and one of my favorite parts of winter here so far is the snow that occassionally falls. I LOVE it!

Next time you want some snow, let me know and I'll send you some for free! Well...at least until the snow here melts again! :)

~ MLB

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home