Thursday, December 21, 2006

Posts of Christmas Past (Part IV)

Today is the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year.

It is a celebration of the start of the new solar year. The Romans referred to it as Dies Natalis Invicti Solis, or the birthday of the unconquered sun. It is the point when the sun is at its lowest arc in the sky.

It also marks the beginning of winter. The sun will get up late and go to bed early. Like others, I expect I will be going to work in the dark and going home in the dark.

Sunrise is officically at 7:33 a.m. Sunset will be at 5:32 a.m. That means 9 hours and 59 minutes of daylight. So, if I go home tonight and say to my wife: "Gee, it has been a long day!" I would be stretching it.

It could be rather depressing, but I’ve always looked at it this way: Tomorrow, the days will start getting longer again.

Today is also my sister Susie’s birthday. She has always been proud of sharing her birthday with the winter solstice. In fact, she even uses the nickname “winsolstice” as part of her e-mail address.

Growing up, we usually celebrated her birthday on Dec. 1 because her “real” birthday was so close to Christmas. I still joke around with her and tell her “happy birthday” on the first day of December.

Oh, well. I’ve probably told you much more about winter solstice (and Susie’s birthday) than you’ll ever want to know. Have a good one.

Gris

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed, I read all your blogs and enjoyed this one on the shortest day of the year. My father was born on September 21st. and we always kidded him by saying that fall had finally arrived when we first saw him on his birthday. Keep up the good work.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Ed Grisamore said...

Thanks. And Merry Christmas.

7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home