Thursday, December 14, 2006

The wizard of ahs


We went to see “The Wizard of Oz” at Macon Little Theater last night. So, if you catch me humming, “Ding Dong, the Witch is Dead” all day today, you’ll understand why.

It was an enjoyable show, and it was even more special because I knew so many people in the fun-filled production. There are 80 in the cast, if you count Toto, too. More than half of them are adorable kids.

If there has been one movie that I would consider the soundtrack of my life, it would be “The Wizard of Oz.’’ It has stayed with me the longest. It is part of my childhood I have never let go, nor do I ever want to let go.

It was interesting to hear the reaction to so many people in the audience. Some of them sang right along with the familiar tunes. You could hear them repeating the lines from the script, right along with the characters.

A few years ago, we took a trip to Washington, D.C. Of all the thousands of exhibits I saw at the Smithsonian, one of the displays I remember the most was the ruby slippers worn by Judy Garland in the movie.

In my study at home, I have a large framed print with the Scarecrow, Tin Man, Cowardly Lion and Dorothy. It is called “All I really need to know I learned from The Wizard of Oz.’’ There are 11 life lessons listed.


  • Imagination can take you anywhere, even over the rainbow.
  • Sometimes you have to leave home to find it.
  • Follow the Yellow Brick Road – but always be ready for a detour.
  • Faith, hope and love can work wonders, but ruby slippers can’t hurt either.
  • When friends stick together, they can work miracles.
  • Having the courage to ask for what you want is half the battle.
  • Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.
  • The grass is always greener on the other side of the rainbow.
  • All you need is right there inside you.
  • Keep home in your heart and you can always return to it.
  • When you go out into the world, remember: Stand up for yourself, but always be kind to the little guys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home