Sunday, July 02, 2006


In search of the perfect pen

Some folks are obsessed with keeping their lawn green so they can be the envy of all their neighbors. Others are so obsessed with their cars they park them in far corners of the parking lot so nobody can even breathe on them, let alone touch them.

Still others are obsessed with everything from World Cup soccer to Brittany Spears’ love life.

Me? I’m obsessed with pens.

I have spent a lifetime searching for the perfect pen. The write stuff. I have roamed the aisles and combed the shelves of office supply stores, K-Marts, drug stores and mail-order catalogs. I’ve ordered them off eBay, where they are sometimes as many as 30,000 of them listed.

I write for a living, so pens are very important to me. I’ve tried everything from ballpoint to retractable to gel and rollerballs.

I once bought a funky yellow rollerball from Levenger and kept it on a chain around my neck so I wouldn’t lose it. In December, my friend Walter Elliott let me borrow one of his pens during a book signing.

It was love at first write.

The pen was a Rotring, made in Germany. It was heavy, but felt great between my fingers and wrote beautifully. I told Walter about my pen obsession, so he ordered me one. It is the most expensive pen I’ve ever owned, so I guard it carefully.

The “perfect” pen has eluded me, though. Sometimes, I pick one up somewhere, start writing with it and say to myself: “Now, this is it! The perfect pen!”

Then I go out and buy one and realize it’s not so perfect, after all.

My latest foray into pen shopping came when I went off in search of a Bic Atlantis. Sounds more like a voyage than a shopping trip, doesn’t it?

I’ve been using Bics all my life and can remember when a traditional Bic medium point pen costs only 19 cents. Now pens have all kinds of fancy names and features.

The Atlantis even boasts an “Easy Glide System,’’ which is something you might expect to find as an option on a new car. It also claims to be “50 percent smoother and bolder.’’ Than what? A No. 2 pencil?

But it is a nice pen. And, if you’re not convinced, there are some fancy French words on the back of the package. Douceur d’ecriture exceptionnelle, which means "super smooth writing."

I went to three different office supply stores between Warner Robins an Macon before I found them. They were either out of stock or they didn’t carry them.

I figured I had spent $9.57 in gas while searching for a five-pack of pens that costs $4.13.

Oh, well. When you’re obsessed with finding the perfect pen, you never put a price on your pursuit.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm like that sometimes with pencils: I have one pencil for my journal, one for my poetry notebook, one for schoolwork, and a particular pen for another particular notebook!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the never-ending quest for the perfect writing instrument! Two years ago, when I was beginning my senior year at Wesleyan, I started two journals -- one a personal one, and the other a journal of poetry. On the momentous occassion of starting NEW journals and entering my final year, I spent the "big bucks" (probably $5) on a really nice pen, and I have been in love ever since; now, I refuse to write in any of my journals with any other pen! Luckily, it came with refills, so I won't have to spend the "big bucks" again for another few months, yet. :)

7:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember in the fifth grade that my teacher broke the strange news to us on the first day of class that we would be writing all of our work in pens that used ink cartridges. My first ink pen was a "paper wetter" and by the end of the first week of school, my classmates and I looked as if we had just voted in the Iraqi elections.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My oldest daughter is now 23, and has an obsession with pens. When she goes somewhere, watch out, because she will take whatever pens come within reach. I have seen her reach in her bookbag, purse, whatever and come out with handfuls of pens. With her I don't think it matters exactly what kind, she just has to have pens! When she's at my house, or getting something out of my purse, and she takes out a pen, looks at it up and down, I stop her in her tracks and say, "That's my pen, and put it down!"

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would sacrifice one of my kids at the altar if I could ONLY keep up with a pen---ANY pen--I may very well be the reason of why government spending is out of control. It is sad and I offer no excuse---I even have a place on my uniform that holds the pens, but shove them in my pants pocket instead--like socks in the dryer, they too find hyberspace. If i had to post to your Blog with a pen, my post would be invisible... It boggles the mind---I hate myself for it--I am pond scum.
In the words of John Rocker, I am contrite.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home