Friday, June 23, 2006

( Photo by Joel Edward Grisamore)

What makes you happy?

A few months ago, I read an article about a British scientist who had devised an index to predict the “gloomiest” day of the year. The winner was Jan. 23, when all the variables of weather, finances, habits and motivation converge to make it the most unhappiest day of the year.

The same scientist used the same formula to determine the “happiest” day of the year. And the winner is, you guessed it, June 23!

That’s today, folks. Put on your happy face.

There are a few forces working against me today. We’re in the dregs of summer and everything is hot and dry. The Braves are in last place, and their fans are starting to wear bags over their heads. The brakes on my car are starting to make an expensive noise.

But the good outweighs the bad. What makes me happy? I’ve got a good book to read and can look out my window every night and watch lightning bugs dancing across my front yard. Food is one of summertime’s greatest pleasures – I had my first delicious tomato of the year last night. I’m a candidate for some peach ice cream this weekend. I love watermelon and sweet corn, and they are both in abundance.

The happiest day of the year means the sound of children on the playground. It is swimming holes and bare feet in the grass and not getting dark until 9:30 every night. It is a dog who loves you because you scratch behind his ear.

Those are a few items contributing to my happiness index today.

Please post a comment on what makes you happy.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A quick walk around the block early in the morning, a newspaper waiting for me at
5 a.m.,reading "Muts", "For Better or Worst" and "B.C.", a friendly smile and happy face on a waiter or waitress, a genuine "thank you", Blue Bell vanilla, a call answered by a real person and a person who returns your phone call, my dog who loves everyone, and an isolated thundershower over my house!

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Staying up 'til eleven at night because I have so much to record in my journal, listening to my favorite music for over an hour, taking a summer writing class, and the peaches that my Grandmother has for my breakfast.
Plus some others that don't come to mind at the moment.

7:45 AM  
Blogger tadkil said...

When my five year old comes and climbs into bed on Saturday morning. He puts his most serious face on and says, "Daddy, we need bagels!"

"We do," I say.

"They'll make Momma *so* happy when she sees them, " he says in a a very loud whisper.

I put my forehead to his and look him in his eyes. "We should go then!"

Joy is in hearbeats and simple things.

9:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A call from my son away at college. My two canine pets that always surprises me with their comprehension of what I am trying to get them to do. A great hair cut makes my week. Great writer's that write the way they talk so well that they allow you to go beyond your reality into theirs. A Frappachino in the morning. The cold evenings in late fall at a football game. Helping others that need your support. Feeling a great sense of accomplishment of knowing I did all that I could do and did it well. Children that laugh hysterically over the simplest gestures. Cool clean sheets after a day of yardwork and a cold shower.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A breeze on the front porch

Thinking about my Grandparents

Fishing with mans best friend

Reading my buddy Eds' Column

eating together at the table

Making it thru the night without getting up to go to the bathroom

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bright, morning sunlight sreaming through my windows...

My huge dog pretending to be a cat snoozing in the morning sun...

The look in the eyes of my students when they "discover" new knowledge...

People who say "please" and "thank you" to the folks who serve them...

"Sir" and "Ma'am" and "Howdie" and "ya'll"...

Getting ready for the adventure of a life-time...

And enjoying the the peace and calm of Saturday morning in Georgia.

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People watching with my mom

when it rains and is sunny at the same time

a good deal

a breakfast of ham, eggs, and grits

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home