Saturday, July 01, 2006

Give us thy daily casserole

I spoke at the Antioch Baptist Church in Dodge County on Friday night. But first we met in the fellowship hall for a covered dish supper.

Two churches got together to have the program. Antioch joined with Friendship Methodist Church, just down the road. The Baptists and the Methodists get along rather nicely, even if they do like to tell jokes about each other.
My, you’ve never seen such food. There was fried chicken, butterbeans, fresh corn, tomatoes, potato salad and, of course, plenty of casseroles.

It brought to mind an old Baptist joke that has been floating around for years. I can tell this joke with authority, since I am Baptist.

It’s about a second-grade teacher who asks her class to bring in something to do with their religion for show-and-tell.

The next day, a little boy stood before the class and gave his presentation.

“My name is Johnny. I am Catholic and this is a crucifix.’’

The next little boy stood up.

“My name is Timmy. I am Jewish and this is a Star of David.’’

Finally, the last little boy went to the front of the classroom.

“My name is Billy. I am Baptist, and this is a casserole.’’

(Photo by Delinda Grisamore)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home