Thursday, June 29, 2006

The early blogger

I started this blog only 11 days ago, so it's still pretty new to me.

The response has been great, even amazing at times. I appreciate your support. A number of you have told me you didn't even know what a blog was until I started writing one.

Here's the deal: You keep reading and I'll keep writing.

So far, the biggest challenge has not been what to write about -- although that does present a certain amount of pressure since this is called "Daily Gris." The challenge is enhancing my time management skills. Because it's my goal to have something posted by 6 a.m., I have been getting up at 5 a.m.

In that hour before dawn, as the coffee pot jump starts the day and I can hear the dog in the next room snoring at the foot of the bed, I'm in here blogging away.

It hasn't been that big of an adjustment. I'm an early riser anyway. For years, I've been getting up at 5. And sleeping late on the weekend usually means hitting the doze button until 6:30 or 7.

But, for the first week of "Daily Gris,'' people were asking me why I was getting up so early to write it every morning. In fact, one reader posted the comment: "Gee Ed, Blogging at four o'clock in the morning? Well, it's good to know I am not the only one up at weird hours of the night.''

At first, I'll admit I didn't understand what they were talking about. Then I noticed my own posts were being recorded at such oddball times as 2:41 and 3:13 a.m.

I know I was up early, but not that early!

Coming in from the parking lot the other day, I asked co-worker Ryan Gilchrest about it. Ryan is one of our editors who handles the newspaper's on-line content and coordinates all the blogs. He laughed and said he had noticed it, too. He said he thought the blog clock might have been set on Pacific Daylight Savings Time, and he would change the settings.

I guess that was the problem. So you can quit worrying about me not getting my beauty rest, because I certainly need a lot of that.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Ed,
I am glad you got the time issue cleared up. I shudder at the thought that you could have been upstaging the local rooster by rising before the crack of dawn to blog.
Signed,
"the nite owl"

9:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home