Saturday, July 08, 2006

Gimme the real thing

I am less concerned with Coca-Cola employees allegedly attempting to sell trade secrets to rival Pepsi than I would be if the Pepsi folks were trying to sell their formula to Coke.

Forgive me for being a bit passionate about the subject, but it’s only because I’m a tried and true, bonafide Coca-Cola drinker.

My family has been known to boycott fast-food restaurants simply because they served Pepsi instead of Coke.

Pepsi? Too sweet. Coke delivers just the right blend, just the right bite and just the right edge of caffeine euphoria. The only thing better about Pepsi is the commercials. They're clever.

I can’t remember too many days in my life when I haven’t sat back and enjoyed a Coke. Maybe it’s a Southern thing. I was born in Atlanta, the proud home of Coca-Cola. Maybe it’s because I’ve been drinking it since I was old enough to have it poured in my bottle. To this day, I cannot make it through the afternoon without my 3 o’clock Coke. Yes, I'm addicted.

Remember a few years ago with Coca-Cola came out with something called “New Coke’’ and tried to push it off on us? It was a disaster. I remember a man in the food business making a prediction. “Pepsi has been gaining on Coke, so Coke is responding with a new product that tastes just like a Pepsi,’’ he told me. “Just wait. It’s all part of a brilliant marketing strategy. People will be screaming to bring the ‘old’ Coke back.’’

And that’s what happened. Often, you don’t appreciate something until it’s gone. We now have Coca-Cola Classic.

I learned long ago to respect other people’s differences. Just because I choose not to drink Pepsi, not to drive a Hyundi and not to watch the World Cup doesn’t mean other people don’t.

Just respect mine. When I order a Coke, bring me a Coke, not a Pepsi.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHMEN!!!!

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember summers spent at Grandma & Grandpa's house. Every night we were allowed one 8oz. bottle of coke. It was soooo good. We would drink it straight down and wish we would have taken it slower. But to this day, I cannot drink an entire coke. I am a Pepsi fan. I don't know if there is a difference than the coke all those years ago. But I'll take a Ice Cold Pepsi anyday over a coke.

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With due respect to Pepsi drinkers, COCA-COLA rules.I drink maybe one Co-Cola a week..sometimes less, but when i drink one they are heaven sent. It IS, without a doubt, the pause that refreshes.The ones in the little glass bottles are better, honest....
Do you hear Nu-Way saying try a fabulous Pepsi with Flaky Ice?...is their a WORLD OF PEPSI out there somewhere that millions flock to? I aint heard of it. It is a well known fact-and joke-- that us Southerners call all soft drinks COKE---but notice we call em Coke and not Pepsi....
things to think about.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home