Thursday, January 18, 2007

Knight moves


We have a new addition to our household.
My son named him Bernard.
He is 8 feet tall and very shiny.
I don’t know much about his history. I haven’t done a background check on him.
I just know last Saturday morning my son Jake called me. He was helping with the Youth Actors Company work day at Theatre Macon.
He was with a group of folks cleaning out a storage room and discovered this “knight in shining armor.’’ It had been used as a prop in a show several years ago.
The knight is made out of tin. Some of the edges are very sharp.
Jim Crisp, the artistic director at Theatre Macon, was going to throw it out until Jake asked if he could have it.
That’s when the begging began.
Jake reminded me that his birthday had been the day before. This was a significant birthday. He turned 13 so I was supposed to treat him extra special. And what better present for a new teenager than an 8-foot-tall knight he could keep in the corner of his room.
In a moment of weakness, I agreed. I drove the van down to Cherry Street, rescued the knight from the scrap heap and took him home.
It’s not heavy, but it is long and cumbersome. It does look kind of cool in Jake’s room.
The dogs have finally gotten used to it. At first, they thought it was an intruder and started barking.
I know I brought home lots of unusual things when I was Jake’s age, but I don’t think I ever brought home a knight in shining armor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home