Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Prayerdrops



“It is better to read the weather forecast before we pray for rain.’’ – Mark Twain
Our governor, Sonny Perdue, was in Macon on Monday and stopped by the Georgia Farm Bureau. He joined together with about 250 people and “prayed for rain.’’
Well, it worked. We got some during the night. I woke up to the sound of thunderclap and the soothing patter of raindrops.
The rain prayer reminded me of the first time I drove down on a Saturday morning in August a few years ago to attend Jack Lowery’s men’s prayer breakfast at the Midway United Methodist Church.
Men from nearby towns and rural communities gathered for the food and fellowship. I heard some heartfelt prayers that morning, and I’ve been back several times since. (They tell you once you eat breakfast you become a "full" member.)
Several of the men told me a story about how several years earlier, competing prayers showed up at the same breakfast table.
In the middle of a drought much like this one, one man stood up and prayed for rain.
That prompted another farmer to issue an alternate request when it was his turn to bow his head.
“Please God,’’ he pleaded, “hold off on the rain until I can get my hay bailed.’’

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seen at a local church recently:

"Dear God. Please send rain, but not 40 days and 40 nights. Noah"

John G. Kelley, Jr.

12:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Governor Perdue praying for rain reminded me of the Andy Griffith Show when the gypsies were camped outside of town with a weather radio and were conning the good folks of Mayberry that they could predict when it would rain.
I'm really going to miss reading your blogs each day, but I can appreciate your need to have more time for other endeavors.

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home