Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My 500-pound son

I always hesitate to call attention to typographical errors.

Especially in my business, where one slip of the finger or two seconds of carelessness can lead to a blunder thousands of people will see.

I write 2,200 words a week in my columns and probably twice that in the blogs. There is bound to be a consonant or vowel out of place somewhere.
So, me to judge on something like that is like living in a glass house and throwing stones.

Perhaps my most infamous typo came when I was a sports writer and was writing a weekly golf column. A local church was sponsoring a tournament and asked if I would mention it in my column. I guess I had typed the word “golf” so much that the “Napier Avenue Church of God” came out in the paper as the “Napier Avenue Church of Golf.’’

We all make mistakes. No one is perfect.

I did, however, get a chuckle out of son Grant’s new driver’s license. He recently celebrated his 20th birthday, and it was time to get it renewed.

On the renewal application, he listed his height at 5-foot-11 and weight at 160.
On his license, it came back 6-foot-1 and 500 pounds.

Now that’s a growing boy. Must be all that peach ice cream he has been eating working out at Dickey’s Peaches this summer.

Needless to say, he is going to have it corrected Thursday.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Grant has managed to redefine the freshman 15, it seems. haha.

7:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't feel so bad about the God-Golf thing, Ed. Someone who wrote the caption for one of the pictures in the week's photo slidshow wrote "First Assembly of Goad Church".

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home