Friday, May 25, 2007

Fallen Idol, chew toys and grad advice


Scattershooting on a Friday:
The ratings took a tumble for Wednesday night’s finale of “American Idol.’’ According to the folks at Nielsen, viewership was victim of a significant fall. Only 30.7 million watched the show, which was a dropoff from the 36.4 million in 2006.
I am proud to say I was not one of the 30.7 million. I am proud to say I was not one of the 36.4 million.
I wouldn’t waste my time watching that show if all I had was a pair of rabbit ears and that was the only station I could get.
* * * * * * * *
After I blogged about one of our dogs, Harper Lee, chewing the remote control for our TV for the second time, I got this rather sympathetic letter from reader Dorcas Jones:
Just wanted to let you know you do not suffer alone. My terror/terrier angels destroy my husbands glasses every chance they get they especially love to chew the ear pieces. Because he needs his glasses he does not detect the damage until he puts them on. I have of course already discovered the damage before he does and tried to no avail to repair it. The only perk to not having the paper home delivered anymore due to delivery problems is that my angels will not be able to read your column and get ideas from Harper Lee at least not until they figure out how to read it online- if they could figure out "that mouse" they would be home free.''
* * * * * * * * * *
I have been asked to speak at Windsor Academy’s graduation tonight. Here are a few tidbits of advice I plan to tell the graduates.
  • Show gratitude. You did not make it here today alone. Thank your parents.

  • Thank your teachers. Thank the friends and classmates who have stuck by you.

  • Always look people in the eye when you're talking to them.

  • When you meet a veteran, shake his hand and thank him for his service to our country. And, if you see a man or woman wearing a military uniform, go up and thank them, too. We are here because they are there.

  • Prayer is the most powerful thing in the universe.

  • The only way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time.

  • Life may not be all you want, but it's all you've got. So you might as well stick a geranium in your hat and be happy.

  • Never underestimate the power of words in our lives. They can build up people. Or they can destroy them. Choose the words you read, write and say wisely. Think carefully before you let them go. You never know where those words are going to land. You never know whose heart they are going to find.

  • Have fun. Be Good. I got this piece of advice from a friend, who is a Baptist minister. He says this to his daughters every time they leave the house. Have Fun. Be Good. And by that he means this. Have fun, but not so much fun that it gets you in trouble. And be good, but don’t be so good that you don’t have fun.

  • Remember that we make a living out of what we get. We make a life out of what we give.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely advice! i remember reading a column you wrote when ed (jr) graduated from central and one piece of advice was never trust a blinker....i've always thought that was very clever and very true! you should throw that one in there for laughs!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home