Friday, April 20, 2007

Take this job and love it



I spoke at the annual career day at Dodge County High School on Friday morning. There were 66 professionals there to give students advice on everything from banking to real estate to diesel mechanics.

Something interesting happened to me on the way back to Macon. I stopped at the McDonald's in Cochran for a mid-morning Coca-Cola.

The girl at the counter took a look at me and asked: "Are you a professor?"

It was a logical question. The campus at Middle Georgia College was just a few blocks away. I had on a coat and tie. I guess I looked like I might have just returned from giving a lecture.

"No," I said.

She looked a little disappointed.

"Well, you sure look like a professor,'' she said. "Let me guess. You're a lawyer.''

Now that hurt.

"No, I'm not a lawyer, either,'' I said.

My mind fresh from career day 20 miles down the road, I could have told this girl I was anything.

Astronaut. FBI agent. Movie star. All those things I once wanted to be.

I decided to have a little fun.

"A preacher,'' I said.

That was not entirely stretching the truth. I have been known to preach.

"Yeah, I can see it now,'' she said. "A preacher.''

"Well, not really,'' I said. "I was just joking. I'm a writer for the Telegraph.''

There was an awkward silence.

"Oh,'' she said.

I knew I should have told her I was a matador
.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think she was thinking, "Oh, I thought you were somebody."?

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee Ed, I'm disappointed that you didn't go a little further down the street and stop in at Boo-Koo's Deli for a Coke! I would have known who you were!

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home