Wednesday, July 12, 2006

View from a Hearse

I first met Bruce Goddard in the spring of 1997 at a civic club meeting in Macon. The title of his program was “View from a Hearse.’’ I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard in my life.
Afterward, I flagged him down in the parking lot, introduced myself and asked if I could arrange to interview him for a story.

A week later, I found myself on the front porch of Goddard Funeral Home in Reynolds, where Bruce was a fourth-generation undertaker. I listened to him talk about life – and death.
At the time, I had no way of knowing how much that day would change my life. Bruce and I have become close friends, almost like brothers.

He asked me to write the foreword to his book last year, and this is what I said:

“…We are like kindred spirits. We are both storytellers. We do a lot of public speaking because of our jobs. We are rabid Georgia Bulldog fans and take delight in the simple pleasures of life.

“We were both raised by wonderful parents who provided us with a firm foundation. They made sure our bottoms were in the pew every Sunday morning. We both married remarkable women. We are both blessed with three wonderful sons. And we both found our calling in life. Some might call it a job, a career, an avocation. We consider it a ministry.

“When Bruce tells his stories about being a fourth-generation undertaker from a small Georgia town, he is not laughing in the face of death. He is celebrating life, with all its quirky imperfections.’’

If you’ve ever heard Bruce speak at a banquet, civic club or church gathering, you understand what I’m talking about. He makes you laugh. He makes you think. He makes you appreciate life’s blessings – both great and small.

Bruce, who now lives in Warner Robins and manages funeral homes all over the country, recorded a live CD a few years back. It was a way people could take his message with them and listen to it over and over again. The CD sold well, but Bruce now admits the quality could have been better. “I just used one of those Radio Shack microphones and a tape recorder,’’ he said, laughing.

He did it right this time. This past Saturday, Bruce went into Joey Stuckey’s Senate Records Studio on Third Street and recorded in front of a studio audience. My family and I were honored to be in that audience. Even though I have probably heard Bruce tell these same stories 50 times, I never tire of hearing them.

Look for the new live album in August. More details will be forthcoming at Bruce’s web site www.brucegoddard.com

Also, Bruce has now joined the wonderful world of blogging, where you can find him at http://viewfromahearse.blogspot.com/

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have never heard of this gentleman until your blog. He is certainly a southern gem! I laughed and laughed. I had a Grand-Father-in-Law who told stories much like his. He was a stone setter for Clark Memorials. The stories he told about the many funeral workers, gravesites, the last few good words on the headstones were hilarious and lighthearted. Mr. Goddard is as unique as he was. Thanks for introducing him to us.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Mac Goddard said...

Bruce is my youngest brother, so I know him quite well and, therefore, offer this family secret: the reason he is so funny is simple--the doctor dropped him on his head when he was hatched, I mean born! Mama and Daddy always did have a hard time keeping him in line, or on line, or between the lines, or something like that. Ed, I am glad that you and Bruce are such good friends. Keep up the good work!

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home